Trader Joe's Seltzers with a Splash Cranberry and Lime Juice Seltzer Water

Any hoarders in the house? Y'all should raise your hands cuz y'all should be in your house. America STILL wants to know where all the toilet paper is. If there's one blessing in disguise from this quarantine lockdown business - I am less enamored with chasing after the new products (which by some miracle TJ's is still releasing albeit at a slower pace) and I've been working through my pantry stash, which was in need of some TLC anyway. For some reason, I had three kinds of seltzer - I'm not even a seltzer-phile! They were purchased before the government made prudent decisions to close everything down (I promise this is not a Covid post). Who am I to let perfectly good seltzer go to waste? What kind of a Millennial would I be?  


These seltzers aren't really new - they came out sometime around the 2018 holiday season, hence the cranberry flavor. Cranberry and lime isn't a flavor combination that seems intuitive to me but the package appears festive.

Serious question - does adding organic juice to something magically make a product organic? Like if I go roll around in an organic field and cover myself in dirt and organic fertilizer - does that make me organic? And what is organic or natural about "natural lime flavor" anyway?

Each box comes with four cans - which is a bit more expensive per unit compared to Kirkland, LeCroix, Spindrift, etc. But the packaging is cute, so extra points.

1) Cranberry and lime are usually kind of mediocre seltzer flavors for me. Lime usually has an unpleasant bitter aftertaste, and cranberry has the potential to go too tart. However, no such problems here. You can taste the cranberry but it's not too much - few people can take straight shots of cranberry unless you trying to prevent a UTI or something. There's a note of tartness but it pairs nicely with the lime. The lime has a citrus-y brightness and is distinct enough where you know it's lime but without the bitterness.

2) Essentially, this product is an exercise in restraint. Flavor wise that is. Too much of either flavor and it could be bad. Too little of either flavor and you question what the point of this whole exercise is. Paired together in harmony this seltzer sings. But we're talking seltzer, so I guess it bubbles.

3) When I saw this on shelves after the holiday season ended, I thought TJ's was trying to sell surplus product. But considering I repurchased this and drank it in March, I'm thinking this flavor is here to stay. I ain't mad.

4) $2.99 for an organic 4-pack.

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Seltzers with a Splash Cranberry and Lime Seltzer Water. Two's a company of bubbly goodness. Who knew cranberry and lime could be friends? 9 out of 10. Mantou Joe repurchase? Already did. Consider this product endorsed. 

More seltzer reviews: discontinued summertime, discontinued wintertime

Comments