Trader Joe's Mochi Cake Mix - Matcha Variation Bake-off

I tried this cake mix a while ago. Once. While ignoring the instructions. Makes for the perfect review, no? Cake mix is supposed to be user proof. You dump some ingredients in a bowl, mix, bake, and voila - a dessert with minimal effort and cleanup. I picked this up because I knew it was a seasonal, limited edition type thing and because this mochi cake concept is pretty similar to a mochi cake I make regularly from scratch, which can only mean one thing - a bake-off! 


Before I comment on anything else - why are there holes and tunneling in this cake? Isn't it gluten free? Was it over-mixed? Over-leavened? Over-mixed quick breads and cakes end up tough with huge tunnels..so like...what did they do wrong here and why did they choose this image to be on the box? Am I missing something??

My understanding of the Hawaiian mochi cake is that it's a hybrid cousin of the Asian mochi - still gooey but sorta light and spongy and way butterier. Never had it, but it has that "exotic factor" that is exposing the mass TJ's crowd to something new and different while maintaining a bit of familiarity. The instructions are pretty easy. Because it's gluten free, you're supposed to be able to mix the batter until smooth and not worry about overmixing. Ignore the package picture and you'll be alright.


Yup, not a health food. :P

The nice thing about this mix is that you can play with the flavor and jazz it up with other flavors. If you're not sure where to start, the Instagram world is all over it. For bake-off's sake, I made a green tea matcha version and substituted coconut milk for the water (probably not necessary but enhances the coconut flavor) and 2 tbsp of matcha powder (4 packets of that TJ's matcha powder if you want to pay more for less).


The left side is the TJ's mochi cake and the right side is my homemade version. 

1) The mix actually baked more evenly than my homemade version (still trying to figure out why it forms these massive bubbles), so if you're into this texture and product it might be worthwhile to stock up on this mix when (or IF) it comes back. 

2) TBH, I'm not a huge fan of the Hawaiian mochi texture and neither were a majority of my coworkers. I personally prefer the sticky, chewy texture of an OG rice cake or mochi cake, which I find has a better bite and mouthfeel. The Hawaiian mochi is softer, less chewier/stickier, and definitely butterier. Some people might like it but others might find it too mushy, especially if you're not accustomed to the "Q," sticky mochi texture. I find the texture too "fusion-y" for me, which ironically seems to be the point of this product since Hawaiian cuisine has a lot of Asian influences. It's not soft or light enough to be pleasant like a sponge cake but it's not sticky enough to stand up to the Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Filipino versions. 

3) But still it's not bad. It tastes pretty buttery and coconut-y, and I like that the mix is customizable. If you don't love coconut, I'd suggest omitting coconut milk and sticking with water. The coconut will still be there, just less pronounced. 

4) $3.99 for one boxed mix - it's not super expensive considering that the only other alternative is to buy all the ingredients yourself for a homemade version. 

5) Repurchase? Probably not, considering Cynthia's version is really quick and easy to throw together. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Mochi Cake Mix. Hawaiian-style mochi butter cake - dump, mix, bake, and you've got a nice fusion dessert. 7 out of 10. Mantou Joe repurchase? Not for me but glad that this product exists. 

Comments