Trader Joe's Sparkling Spring Water (Cranberry Clementine, Pineapple, and Grapefruit Flavors)

I'm not a soda drinker. It was very easy for me to stop because I didn't drink it in the first place. But there is something about the nightshift that makes a bubbly beverage rather refreshing. Between that, the darkened staff lounge, and whatever lame Lifetime movie is on - it's enough of a pick-me-up to keep me going. Of course, sparkling water is all the rage because it has flavor without the calories and sugar. 


TJ's recently came out with four new flavors - pina colada (not pictured), cranberry clementine, pineapple, and grapefruit. I didn't picked up the pina colada - it's just not a flavor that appeals to me, but I'm sure it's decent enough if you're into that kind of thing. These run $0.79 per 1 liter. By the way, some TJ stores, particularly the ones in California, carry sparkling water in larger bottles (like 1.5L). Maybe it's more hip there?



Everything is flavored with "natural flavors." How they get the flavor in there beats me. I tried all three and attempted to share. I think seltzer is an acquired taste. If you're used to drinking soda, the first time you try it you might think it's completely disgusting because it isn't sweetened. But if you can handle the lack of sweetness, I think most of the flavors that TJ's carries are alright. 

1) Cranberry Clementine - honestly this one was the most forgettable flavor. I could taste something vaguely citrus-y. Not sure what the cranberry was supposed to contribute, maybe a tartness, but I couldn't taste it. I wouldn't throw this pick completely out there. I'm sure it would be fine as a bubbly base for a holiday-themed cocktail or something. 

2) Pineapple - This one was my personal favorite. The pineapple flavor comes through nicely. I enjoyed it as is and also mixed with tropical fruit juices. Delish. 

3) Grapefruit - This one is hit or miss, depending how much you like grapefruit. I had a coworker taste this, and she thought it was completely disgusting. On the other hand, this seems to be the sparkling water flavor of choice for my brother-in-law (HI BRUH). It's citrusy with slight bitter/tart notes. Not for everyone but a good grapefruit flavor if you like that. 

Just to note - I stumbled upon very similar flavors from Polar brand at Target, and it was priced $0.20 more, so if you love the bubbly seltzer, this is a good buy. As for me, I'll probably continue to pick up the pineapple one and probably not the others. 

TL:DR: Trader Joe's Cranberry Clementine, Pineapple, and Grapefruit Sparkling Spring Waters. A decent value for your dollar. New tropical-esque flavors - try according to your preference. 7 out of 10. 

Comments