Trader Joe's Sparkling Spring Water (Starfruit, Green Apple, Winter Sangria, Berry Bubbly Flavors)

Not gonna lie - the most recent sparkling water class of 2017 was kinda disappointing. I'm not a huge seltzer connoisseur, but from time to time I do reach for it when I'm craving something bubbly. 




TJ's released four new flavors during the winter/holiday season, just like the four flavors they released over the summer. Now is it just me or are two of the flavors sound basically the same? (Berry bubbly and winter sangria if you were wondering) 


Honestly, there was no logical reason for me to pick up all four flavors. I'll blame the sparkly packaging. :P


As per usual, I can't really tell from the ingredient list what this seltzer will taste like. What makes green apple seltzer taste like green apple? I haven't a clue. I'm also sleep deprived, so I'll keep this to the point.

Green apple - Tastes like a green apple-flavored Airhead. Really artificial green apple taste vs. a tart granny smith, which is what I had in mind. If you like Airheads or artificial candy flavor, you might like this. 

Berry sangria (berry bubbly! They must have recycled the flavors. Otherwise why would I be mixing these up? :P) - If you can get past the Tylenol-esque first impression, it's moderately pleasant. The berry notes are mixed in with that artificial grape (I'm calling it artificial grape because it's not grape like grape juice, but grape like children's cough medicine)

Winter sangria - A more bitter version of berry sangria. If berry bubbly is children's Tylenol, then this is Tylenol XL. Can't decide which one I disliked more, this or the green apple. 

Starfruit - This one was my favorite out of the bunch. I'm lacking a frame of reference for starfruit taste, so I can't vouch for the authenticity of the flavor, but it does have a pleasant, tropical, fruity flavor. I would repurchase this one. It would make a nice base for a holiday cocktail or anything fruity and sweet. 

Frankly, I think these flavors come down to personal preference. I tend to shy away from berry flavored seltzers because of that common water they tread with grape-flavored medicine. I don't like super artificial candy flavors but I tend to like almost anything fruity and maybe tropical. At $0.79 per liter, it's very reasonably priced. So if you're a seltzer lover and on the lookout for new flavors, try at your own risk. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Sparkling Spring Water. Winter 2017 Edition. I like Summer 2017 better. How about the following for some arbitrary ratings? 

Green Apple - 3/10
Winter Sangria - 3/10
Berry Bubbly - 5/10
Starfruit - 7/10 


Comments

  1. Love the green apple seltzer and I don’t like airheads - ha. Different tastes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just bought the Starfruit one today and I love it. Pleasantly surprised!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment