Skip to main content

Trader Joe's Chocolate Mint Flavored Black Tea


It wasn't the chocolate or the idea of a chocolate-flavored tea. It was, as usual, the packaging. That is one creepy looking bear. He could pass for a crazy uncle at Christmas. Claws, mug of "tea," , and creepy stare. Maybe a plaid flannel instead of the ugly sweater. Just sayin. 


I will admit that I was moderately curious what cocoa would do to tea. 


Gotta enjoy the tongue in cheek - because woodpeckers and bears have nothing to do with chocolate tea. But I guess they exist in Quebec. And so does chocolate tea. Therefore, chocolate tea and animals make perfect sense. Good thing reason doesn't always work like that in real life. :P


This tea smells like a thin mint cookie - chocolatey and minty. A comforting smell for the morning but the taste is a little lackluster. It's a black tea with vague cocoa notes. But I like it, kind of like how I enjoy medium roast coffee beans with cocoa notes, meaning it doesn't actually taste like chocolate but there's a certain warmth and slight bitterness that rounds out the tea. It is moderately more interesting that a plain cup of black tea and a little less minty than TJ's other mint teas, like the moroccan mint or the mint melange. Unfortunately, adding milk/cream and sugar does not make this tea taste like a thin mint. 

My overall reaction to this tea is very similar to my reaction to this rendition of "The Bare Necessities."  Which goes something like this - "Oh this song! Bill Murray! How cute! That movie was pretty good! Hey wait a minute, that singing AIN'T CUTE. TURN IT OFF." In other words, I get what TJ's was going for with this tea, but it's kind of underwhelming. Fortunately, this tea is better than that song, so I can enjoy it as a mildly-more-interesting-boring-plain tea. I wouldn't run out and get this though.

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Chocolate Mint Flavored Black Tea. Chocolitea? Bear-ly. 6 out of 10. 

Other fall/winter seasonal teas: antelope teafox tealemur teapolar bear tea

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trader Joe's Crispy Crunchy Mochi Rice Nuggets

THE PACKAGING THO. HOW CAN I RESIST THAT. 

I immediately thought of School of Rock of course. What nuggets have to do with a band, I don't know. Is this another attempt at cultural appropriation? Perhaps not! Leave it to the Japanese to connect random things together usually in an ingenious way. Also, the singer says "Crispy" while the drummer says "Crunchy." THAT IS TOO CUTE. GAHHH I'm sold. 

Trader Joe's Matcha Green Tea

Dear reader, you may notice in the coming days that there are changes coming to this blog. Not nearly as dramatic, controversial, or dlfjepotigfjad;lkgjadsf (for my readers not as fluent in internet speak, that was a keyboard pound of frustration) as say, the government, but changes nonetheless. Mostly because there is coming a day where I will not live within a stone's throw of a Trader Joe's store. A sad sad day. But probably a good day for my wallet. :P 

Trader Joe's Umami and Ginger Paste

I'm a big fan of the condiment section at TJ's, not because everything is ridiculously good but you can really find some hidden gems and get a good bang for your buck. ;D 
I cannot vouch for all of the spices and condiments - like salt, soy sauce, sriracha (no I haven't tried TJ's brand sriracha) I would buy elsewhere. However, because most of the spices have the same $1.99 flat price, you can get decent deals on things like curry powder, turmeric, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon sticks, and ground ginger.