Trader Joe's Pumpkin Spice Batons

I recently shared that I've "made peace with pumpkin spice." Which basically means that I admit to liking pumpkin spice, sort of, and I've sort of agreed to stop hating on something that the masses love. Lest you think this is a conversion story of sorts - I'm still rather selective about the forms of pumpkin spice that I enjoy, which ultimately comes down to the philosophy that less is more. Pumpkin spice should actually complement, highlight, and enhance. It should not distract, degrade, or disgust. Tough because disgusting is in the eye of the beholder. Or on the tongue of the taster. And if you are experiencing a loss of taste or smell, I suggest you stop all non-essential travel and call your doctor. :P 

The baton cookies are a TJ's staple. There have been a number of versions - the classic chocolate-filled one, the vanilla flavored one, and the coffee cocoa one. They aren't my favorite cookies, but I don't mind them. 

I think these rolled batons are cookies that I recall from childhood, except without any filling in the middle. I'm pretty sure you can still find these cookies in Asian stores and in the international aisle of a lot of supermarkets. They are crispy, wafer-y, and nothing of the chewy cookies I prefer today. 

1. It has been a while since I've had a baton cookie. Perhaps my taste buds have changed, because I didn't enjoy these as much as I thought I would have. 

2. The baton itself has the same quality, texture, and taste as all the other iterations. It's thin and crispy and heavily reliant on the filling for flavor. 

3. I did not like the filling at all. To me, it is too sweet and incredibly fake-tasting, which I think is exactly the appeal for a lot of people. The sugariness takes away from the pumpkin spice flavor. The sugariness could be justified if it had more pumpkin spice flavor. 

4. I have no desire to eat anymore of these cookies or to purchase them ever again. It's a just okay cookie with a rather disappointing pumpkin spice filling - I sort of expected more. Like a cookie that very much gives off "fall vibes." What are "fall vibes?" Well something that's sort of a treat that you enjoy, maybe with a steaming cup, and a favorite sweater. Like a warm apple cider donut. This? It's like a clearance cookie that you found in a random TJ Maxx..and instead of being warm and inspiring and so deliciously fall, it's lackluster performance makes you think that perhaps it's better for it to be left at the store, clearance stamped, and forgotten until next year. 

5. $1.99 for this seasonal product. A pass for me. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Pumpkin Spice Batons. Meh. 5 out of 10. 



Comments