Trader Joe's Fall Leaf Corn Tortilla Chips

Foliage looks great on trees. It even looks great falling to the ground. On the ground, it forms a neat blanket, and when you gather it into a small mountain you can throw yourself into it and breathe in nature as it becomes with your clothing and hair. And then when you repeat this ritual week after week  (because you live at my mother's place and there are simply too many leaves from too many trees that keep falling and the wind keeps blowing the neighbor's leaves over to our yard), it gets tiring. Make it stoppppppp. So now I pay money every month for my neighborhood association to take care of the few trees in my yard - it interrupts my sleep every now and then but it's a small price to pay for convenience. I can now admire the leaves without having to deal with the futile exercise of leaf raking. If you too would like to admire foliage but without the work, why not consume it in a fun-shaped tortilla chip? Yes, Trader Joe's, of course. 



The packaging was pretty, and the colors looked nice. Can you imagine these colors at your Friendsgiving table? 

Sadly, I never got the chance to make these chips into autumnal nachos. I love nachos. I will never say no to nachos. Will have to try this again next season with pumpkin chili. 

What beautiful ingredients! Actually, the ingredients remind me of the beet and sweet potato crackers that came out a few years ago (also delicious and would recommend).

I ate them with my favorite autumnal salsa (seasonal. probably gone from the shelves at this point).

1) There's three different colors and three different leaf shapes. Forgive me for my lack of plant knowledge - but there's a maple leaf looking one, a spade one, and the other leafy one that I doodle all the time.

2) Eaten alone without any dip or salsa, they taste "healthy." Not a bad healthy. They're lightly salted, so they are good enough to snack on as is. They aren't as greasy as a typical store-bought tortilla chip. The red chips (naturally colored with beets!) do have a light beet flavor, and orange ones have a sweet potato/squashy/pumpkin-y flavor. The yellow one tastes closest to just a corn tortilla.

3)But I can't imagine that most people would eat these by themselves. I would imagine you'd want to dunk it into a salsa of your choice. These chips aren't ginormous or the most cleverly engineered chip to hold the most efficient amount of dip possible, but they look cute. Don't underestimate the power of looking cute y'all.

4) $2.99 for a 14 oz bag. Novelty? Of course but they taste pretty good too.

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Fall Leaf Corn Tortilla Chips. I will go out of my way to snack on that naturally colored, lightly veggie-flavored, crunchy looking leaf! 8 out of 10. Mantou Joe repurchase? I like cute things, so probably. 

Comments