Trader Joe's Ketchup Flavored Spud Crunchies

I've always wondered why ketchup chips are a thing in Canada and not the US, considering ketchup is like a lifeblood sauce of our country. But apparently, ketchup tastes sweeter in Canada? I've tried ketchup chips before, and it's a strange riff on barbecue chips that sort of reflects the difference between Canadian and American ketchups. So that means Canadians want a sweeter savory chip with less spice? I don't get it. But I get that TJ's tries different seasonal things, and I quite liked the OG spud crunchies. Plus cute packaging. Take my money. 



And in case we didn't know...potatoes have always been and are indeed gluten free. So are potato chips. And tater tots. Y'know, marketing. 

I liked the original spud crunchies, but my one critique was that they lacked flavor. A ketchup flavor was probably one of the last options in my mind, but hey I'll take it.

These are not healthier than regular potato chips, just saying. Maybe marginally healthier than actual french fries? But if you're really concerned about the healthiness...we should all know that any processed snack can't really be that healthy. In any event, I didn't buy these for the health benefits. :P

1) The moment you open the package, the ketchup flavor smell hits you in the face. It's weird at first but you get used to it.

2) The ketchup flavor is spot on and true to every other ketchup-flavored snack that I've had. I actually like this ketchup flavor a little better than some ketchup-flavored Canadian snacks. It is a bit zestier, not as sweet, and reasonably salty.

3) That said, you really have to like a zesty ketchup flavor (like ketchup snack flavor, not actual ketchup flavor) and have a palate that appreciates sour/acidic foods to really appreciate this flavor. I don't really see this as a mainstream flavor most people will clamor to buy.

4) Still, this ketchup flavor applied to basically a freeze-dried potato snack makes this incredibly fry-like. It's crunchy, starchy, and just greasy enough to give you that junky fry feel without being an actual fry.

5) I may or may not have consumed these bags of ketchup spud crunchies at a disturbingly fast rate. Cannot repurchase any longer.

6) $1.99 per bag. I would love to see TJ's come out with some more "normal" ish flavors in the spud crunchy form that would appeal to more people.

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Ketchup Flavored Spud Crunchies. TJ spud crunchies clap back..with a zesty, acidic-leaning American ketchup. 8 out of 10. Mantou Joe repurchase? I can't...it pleases my palate too much. They deadly y'all. 

Comments