Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Sunflower Seed Butter Cups

The OG dark chocolate peanut butter cups are one of my favorite TJ's items of all time. Seriously, who doesn't like a Reeses? I can think of two categories of people - people who don't really like peanut butter or people who can't have peanut butter. Nut allergies are all over the place. I feel bad for the population that can never enjoy the sheer pleasure of a dark chocolate-covered peanut butter cup. Well friends, it's 2019 and the next best thing is here - dark chocolate sunflower seed butter cups. Another lengthy product name. Whatever happened to "brevity is the soul of wit?" 

These come in a two-pack right by the register for $0.99, which is still cheaper than the next comparable supermarket alternative.

I tried sunflower seed butter first from Trader Joe's a few years ago and never reviewed it. It just wasn't for me, and I ended up passing it onto a friend with nut allergies. You have to like sunflower seeds to like sunflower seed butter. I don't love sunflower seeds. I tolerate them so a nut butter where you eat and think about how many sunflower seeds were sacrificed to make this just didn't work for me. But in theory anything coated in dark chocolate can't be that terrible, so I picked it up anyway. Plus points for being fair-trade!

If you're going to eat chocolate, this isn't a bad choice. But it's still a treat. :)

1) I love the actual nut butter in the TJ nut butter cups compared to a Reeses. The nut butter has a better mouth feel, probably because there aren't all these additives. It's creamier but cleaner-tasting without being too drippy, like the natural nut butters on the shelves. So in this format, I actually liked the sun butter. The sunflower seed butter flavor is there but not overpowering at all and goes really well with the dark chocolate, which isn't too dark at all and should appeal to more people.

3) I could actually go for a little more sun butter filling like the dark chocolate PB cups and dark chocolate speculoos-filled cups (whatever happened to those btw?).

4) I suppose it's good that right now it only comes in a two-pack. But really it needs to cup in the same shape as the OG PB cups for more temptation and more enjoyment. :D

5) For anyone with nut allergies, it's probably the closest approximation to a Reeses you're going to get. Definitely worth the try.

6) Can we get dark chocolate almond butter cups please? Thanks TJ's in advance, XOXO.

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Sunflower Seed Butter Cups. The perfect balance of sun butter and dark chocolate. The Reeses alternative you can eat without your epi pen. 8 out of 10. 

Comments

  1. These were surprisingly good! I bought them out of curiosity but wasn't expecting to like them. They make me want to try sunflower butter by itself, though I don't think I'd ever buy that when regular peanut butter is an option.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment