Trader Joe's Herbes de Provence

This lull between Christmas and New Years marks the time where many people, if not bombarded with holiday festivities, take time to reevaluate priorities and time spent in the past year. Yknow. Are New Years resolutions even worth it? Do I like how I spent my time? Did I spend too much money at TJ's this year? (Probably) In any event, I couldn't let 2017 end without mentioning at least one good decision from this year. 




This is a seasonal seasoning. TJ's tends to do that - you'll see pumpkin spice, ginger, and a few other things disappear once spring returns. Unlike most of the other spices, this herbes de providence blend comes in a handy little canister complete with a wooden spoon. I saw it last year but hesitated too long and wasn't able to buy it. Snatched it up this year as soon as I saw it for $4.99, which considering the amount of seasoning is a pretty good deal. 


Herbes de provence is a classic spice blend from southern France (in say...Provence?). It's most often used for meat, poultry, and vegetable dishes. I first learned of it years ago but had no idea what to do with it.  Doesn't come with any intuitive instructions either - which means this is one of those TJ products for people who like to cook. YAY. 


It's been kind of fun figuring out new ways to use this herb blend. Roast chicken - Ina Garten style seemed obvious (and delicious). Instant Pot Chicken Soup (couldn't be simpler). Fougasse (actually not too difficult and quite tasty). It's simple, brainless, and produces the aromatic flavor I'm looking for. I can't say that I taste the lavender much, which is probably okay since you don't want your food to taste too much like lavender. 

I can't emphasize enough how much of a value this product is. Sure, it might be a direct French import, but the amount of seasoning for the price? And the reusability of the packaging? I'm sold. The other day I tried to convince A that $11 for a little thing of Fleur de Sel (French sea salt. aka the golden stuff flavoring those white truffle chips) was okay and worth every penny. He wasn't convinced. So TJ's, if you're reading this, could you help a girl out? :P 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Herbes de Provence. A workhorse of an herb blend for people that like to cook. Pick up while still in stock! 8 out of 10. 


Comments