Trader Joe's Organic White Truffle Potato Chips

Want to fancify anything? Add truffle. Perhaps there are some people with refined taste buds out there who are wondering why you would put such a nice ingredient on something as common as a potato chip. Um because this is 2017 and if lobster and waffles (a la chicken and waffles) exist, then why not truffle chips? 


But let's be real - I was just excited at the release of a new chip variety. Y'all can take your pumpkin cinnamon rolls, ice creams, and whatever sweets of your fancy any day. Give me chipsssss. 



Organic. White Truffle. Why yes, I will fork over an extra dollar for those buzzwords. But even still, $2.99 for artisan/premium/bougie chips ain't bad at all. 


Because organic chips are obviously better for you than the non-organic chips, duh. It's like saying organic fried chicken is better than non-organic fried chicken. Better is relative. :P 


Normally, I would rail on how any chip that isn't kettle cooked can never be as good as a chip that is (I'm not picky. I just know what I like. :P). Kettle cooked chips are basically deep fried - every culture knows that just about any food tastes superior when deep fried. But are there some foods that deserve a little more...respect? Like special treatment rather than being dunked haphazardly into a vat of oil?* Alright, I guess a traditional, thinner chip would highlight the expensive ingredients more adequately. 

*My one exception to that is proper Japanese tempura (not the ones you get at a Chinese buffet but the legit ones. Oh. My. That's like a spa treatment that fries up stuff gently to a golden crisp while maintaining and light and airy texture. Take me back to Toraya). 


The flavor does not disappoint. I haven't had many truffle-flavored things, but the amount of flavor used here is just right. It's mushroom-y but not overly so. It's interesting, pleasant, but not gaudy (like IN YOUR FACE HI THIS IS TRUFFLE AND IT COST BIG MONEYYY). The fleur de sel gives a je ne sais quoi that you don't find with normal salt (I admit I don't know much about it, except that apparently it's life-changing and worth every penny), and I think I wouldn't like the truffle flavor as much without it. So given that the flavor is so unique and executed so well, I'm not sure that I miss  my usual beloved kettle-cooked texture. The light crispiness feels..classier, like you could enjoy this with a glass of wine. 

Even so, I'm not sure I would gravitate toward this on a regular basis. It feels special and almost too refined for bumming at home in my pajamas. But hey, this is 2017. If you want to eat fancy junk food in your pajamas, why not? Limited edition too, so I wouldn't wait if you're curious. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Organic White Truffle Potato Chips. Fancypants salty crunchies. Yaaaass. 7.5 out of 10. 

Comments