Trader Jacque's Cultured Salted Butter

Occasionally, Trader Joe's reminds me that they watch out for people that actually enjoy and care a little about cooking. Not that there's anything wrong with food for people who like to cook but not too much. Frankly, A and I find ourselves tired, hungry, and not wanting to cook at least once a week (and often times, it's the TJ potstickers that bail us out. But we're out at the moment sooooooo I gotta make a trip soon). But this product? This isn't a convenience food or something really Instagrammable (people going crazy over that coconut whipped topping, which I have no plans to review because it just doesn't appeal to me). It's more like I've been watching Julia Child and Ina Garten, and they've both convinced me that life is better with butter. French butter. 


TJ's (or should I say "Trader Jacques") has hit it out of the park with basically every French, butter filled item that I've tried thus far. The brioche. The not-as-great-but-still-delicious pain au lait. The seasonal-not-to-be-missed puff pastry. I'm convinced it's the butter, whatever delicious French butter they're using to make carbs next level and addicting. 



I realize that this butter is about twice the price of normal butter. Normal meaning the unit price I pay at Costco for the ridiculous amounts of butter I go through for baking, which is the same by the way. At Costco, I get the 4 boxes for $2.99 pack. This butter is the same price - $2.99 for half a pound. But based on my past experiences with higher quality butters and cheeses, I'm fairly certain that it does make a difference in flavor. And if there isn't an objective difference, I'll take the placebo difference - if you pay more for your food it must taste better. :P 


A few concessions/disclaimers first: 1) I don't usually cook with butter. 2) I have limited ability to tell if my food is tasting better because I'm using butter or if the difference is from the butter being French and cultured. Whatever that means. 3) I'm still in the process of using this butter in various forms, but so far it's been good. That said, the flavor here derives mostly from the creamy richness of the butter itself, not the salt. Maybe these French cows frolic all day in green meadows and listen to Mozart? I don't know. This butter definitely has a richer depth of flavor compared to a typical supermarket butter. Other than that, it's hard to explain. It's one of those things that you have to simply taste, see, and know that it's good. 

I noticed a real difference in using this butter vs regular butter in making something simple like scrambled eggs. Oh my...it just added an unexplainable oomph and lift. It was rich but not heavy. And of course I topped those eggs on a piece of toast, buttered with the same butter. Can you say brunch? YAAAS girl. Come at me, Jacques Pepin. :P 

Slather it over a turkey or chicken to be roasted. Mashed potatoes. Mac & cheese. The possibilities for this butter are endless. Considering that the price is comparable to Kerrygold, it's a reasonable buy, especially if you use butter in everyday or holiday cooking and can taste and appreciate the difference in quality. Might consider repurchasing for when I feel fancy. 

TL;DR: Trader Jacque's Cultured Salted Butter. French butter for foodies. 7.5 out of 10.   


Comments

  1. 1) be wary of costco butter, especially the Kirkkland brand- they add more water to the butter solids and it will screw up holiday baking! Stick to Kerrygold which has a consistent (low) amount of naturally occuring water
    2) cultured butter like this is best to use as a condiment or quick sauce, the flavor and nuance of the culture is lost in baked goods (although obvs this is a quality butter so it would be great for baking but no need to use cultured)
    3) the Miyokos cultured "butter" that TJs sells now is really awesome if you need something non dairy or low in saturated fat; it's a cultured creamy base and significantly cheaper than other stores
    Ttrockwood
    Ps
    The coconut whipped cream is only exciting for dairy free people (and people like me who LOVE dairy yet can't have much of it or risk serious digestive unpleasantness)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment