Trader Joe's Pumpkin & Roasted Pepitas Cookies

These are new, basic (yes, that PSL basic), and screaming to be reviewed. Maybe not screaming. Fine, I liked the packaging. It's not neither the first nor last time that I've done that. 


As much as I love to hate on pumpkin spice, I can't help but feel that there is some part of me that enjoys pumpkin about as much as I think that it is overrated. It's similar to my love-hate (but mostly hate) relationship with running. I think running can be a moderately enjoyable activity as long as the weather isn't too hot or cold, preferably overcast, and the scenery is decently pretty without too many hills. Is that too much to ask? Anyway, I suppose I would find pumpkin things and pumpkin spice a bit more enjoyable once the weather ACTUALLY becomes more fall-like. Cooler with a crispness to the air. Colorful leaves falling to the ground, begging to be crunched (why yes Facebook, 10 years later I will still go out of my way to step on a crunchy leaf). 



These cookies (biscuits really if you care about the differences between cookies and biscuits like the British do) claim to be aromatic and buttery, perfect for tea time, break time, and anytime really. 


Err..they look kind of rustic. 


TJ's does crisp cookies pretty decently. Although it's not my favorite, if it's going to be crisp, it's got to be crisp all the way through, like these speculoos ones, The texture is right, and yes, probably good for dunking. But the flavor is pretty..meh. Yes, they're buttery but the pumpkin flavor doesn't really come through, which is a shame because that's pretty much what the packaging is advertising. I can sort of taste the spices but the predominant flavor is just sugar, not the warm aroma of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice/clove. Not very complex or fall-esque in my opinion. Also, they are curve/dome-shaped, which might fit the curvature of your tongue more easily but I find it a little weird for a cookie. The pepitas provide a nice crunch but they don't really do enough to elevate a mediocre cookie. 

$2.49 for a small 5 oz. package. Not particularly impressive. Nor something I feel is necessary to stock up on during the fall months. Shrug. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Pumpkin & Roasted Pepitas Cookies. Sugar, not much spice, and not amazingly nice. 4 out of 10. 

Comments