Trader Giotto's Organic Marinara Sauce


I'm reeling from a weekend of overdose on spaghetti sauce and all things tomato. The sight of a jarred marinara sauce currently makes me gag. Which makes this the perfect time to review a jarred sauce. *shrug*



I think I find jarred sauce about as exciting as some people find sliced bread. It was an integral part of my childhood. It never occurred to me until maybe junior high that pasta sauce could come from places other than a jar. Like vine-ripened tomatoes, simmered with herbs and spices for hours and hours, and other magical things that might happen in an Italian-inclined kitchen. 


But I'm human. Life happens. Jarred pasta sauce is convenient and reliable in a pinch. And yeah this one happened to be organic. It's new-ish and reasonably priced at $2.29. But likely flavorless. Look at that low sodium. 


But good for you I guess. *shrug*


Spaghetti squash with turkey meatballs it is. One of the go-to meals in my arsenel for healthy days and times when A goes on his self-imposed diet. SELF-IMPOSED PEOPLE.  

Usually I end up doctoring jarred sauce to taste less like, well, jarred sauce, unless it's a really Italian sauce. This sauce was very forgettable, but I had to doctor this more than usual because it was so bland.  I guess it's the perfect thing if you're on a diet or something, but I couldn't just couldn't handle it. So I tossed in some sugar, spice, and other things nice. On the other hand, it would make a decent blank slate for whatever you would want to do next. Meh. I wouldn't even use it as marinara sauce though for pizza - the marinara sauce that comes in the 16oz jar tastes way better. 

I haven't tried all of the jarred pasta sauces TJ's has to offer, so I can't say if this one is the worst. But I'd skip this, unless you really want all the organic ingredients. It's not terrible or disgusting by any means. Just boring. Really boring. 

TL;DR: Trader Giotto's Organic Marinara Sauce. Blah but healthy I guess. Ambivalence. 5.5 out of 10. 





Comments

  1. I felt the same about this one. The roasted garlic was much better. And their autumnal harvest one is to die for.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment