Trader Joe's Traditional Latkes

Another post-nightshift pick. There is something about working at night that makes me crave avocado toast and fried carbohydrates. I passed up the usual hash browns for these. 




I've sampled these latkes in the store, but I never had the need for them until I walked into a TJ's after work completely famished. I can't remember the last time I had "real" latkes, so this is venturing into foreign-ish territory. Foreign because, well, latkes, and "-ish" because fried carbohydrate is contrast a very familiar territory. 


We prepped these using the conventional oven. The box suggests serving this with sour cream or applesauce as a more traditional accompaniment (it works surprisingly well with applesauce!). I apologize to any Jewish friends who are offended by the fact that we chose to dunk these in buffalo wing sauce. For the record, these latkes have enough flavor to stand alone, and buffalo was frankly a poor choice. Kind of like how you cringe when someone drowns good coffee in cream and sugar. 


I liked that they were carb-y but not too heavy. They were a little mealy in the center, so we'll try pan-frying next time to make these crispier on the outside and flakier on the inside. And maybe with sour cream or applesauce next time to let these babies shine. 

$2.49 for a box of 8 latkes. Pretty standard TJ's pricing. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Traditional Latkes. I'm adding these to my carb-ladden diet. Yes. 8 out of 10. 

Comments