Skip to main content

Trader Joe's Hatch Chile Mac & Cheese

Cold, gray, and generally gross weather calls for something warm and comforting. Especially when I don't feel like cooking. Hello mac & cheese. 




This one's from the freezer section. Not the one with the cheese powder. Couldn't be bothered to boil water this time. 


Doesn't look terrible. There are two servings in this tray though. Takes some self-control not to eat the whole thing. 


So appetizing. I nuked it per package directions. 


The key is to eat this with a real fork on a real plate or in a real bowl like a grown person.  It looks so much more appetizing that way. This is so much better than the boxed stuff! It actually resembles the mac & cheese that tempts me overtime I go to the hot food bar at Whole Paycheck Foods (I'm definitely not claiming to have high standards for macaroni and cheese. So long as it tastes good and does the job, I'll take it).  Cheesy? Yes. Creamy? Yes. The pasta wasn't too mushy either, which means it was theoretically al dente at one point in time. Spicy? Not by my standards, but I can see how it would be "spicy" to a kid or someone with a spice tolerance of a kid. The hatch chile adds warmth without the heat or kick.  I could taste the gritty remnant of a flour roux, but it was very slight. A couldn't. He ate it without comment, which is usually a sign of satisfaction. 

$2.99 per serving. Clearly more than a boxed mac & cheese but a better product. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Hatch Chile Mac & Cheese. Better than your easy mac with an ever-so-slight southwest flavor. 7 out of 10. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trader Joe's Matcha Green Tea

Dear reader, you may notice in the coming days that there are changes coming to this blog. Not nearly as dramatic, controversial, or dlfjepotigfjad;lkgjadsf (for my readers not as fluent in internet speak, that was a keyboard pound of frustration) as say, the government, but changes nonetheless. Mostly because there is coming a day where I will not live within a stone's throw of a Trader Joe's store. A sad sad day. But probably a good day for my wallet. :P 

Trader Joe's Sliced French Brioche

"THIS IS LIKE CRACK." No it's not (but it certainly could be), but A says that's how I tend to overhype stuff. The funny thing is that I know I overhype a lot of things, so I actually try not to overhype it. Because I don't want to proclaim, "THIS IS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER TASTED" about everything I try. But sometimes I can't help it, and the overhype spills out. Anyway, this is my meager attempt at NOT overhyping this bread (because it is pretty good actually and you should give it a try but I'm trying to restrain myself). 

Trader Joe's Umami and Ginger Paste

I'm a big fan of the condiment section at TJ's, not because everything is ridiculously good but you can really find some hidden gems and get a good bang for your buck. ;D 
I cannot vouch for all of the spices and condiments - like salt, soy sauce, sriracha (no I haven't tried TJ's brand sriracha) I would buy elsewhere. However, because most of the spices have the same $1.99 flat price, you can get decent deals on things like curry powder, turmeric, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon sticks, and ground ginger.