Trader Joe's Hatch Chile Mac & Cheese

Cold, gray, and generally gross weather calls for something warm and comforting. Especially when I don't feel like cooking. Hello mac & cheese. 




This one's from the freezer section. Not the one with the cheese powder. Couldn't be bothered to boil water this time. 


Doesn't look terrible. There are two servings in this tray though. Takes some self-control not to eat the whole thing. 


So appetizing. I nuked it per package directions. 


The key is to eat this with a real fork on a real plate or in a real bowl like a grown person.  It looks so much more appetizing that way. This is so much better than the boxed stuff! It actually resembles the mac & cheese that tempts me overtime I go to the hot food bar at Whole Paycheck Foods (I'm definitely not claiming to have high standards for macaroni and cheese. So long as it tastes good and does the job, I'll take it).  Cheesy? Yes. Creamy? Yes. The pasta wasn't too mushy either, which means it was theoretically al dente at one point in time. Spicy? Not by my standards, but I can see how it would be "spicy" to a kid or someone with a spice tolerance of a kid. The hatch chile adds warmth without the heat or kick.  I could taste the gritty remnant of a flour roux, but it was very slight. A couldn't. He ate it without comment, which is usually a sign of satisfaction. 

$2.99 per serving. Clearly more than a boxed mac & cheese but a better product. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Hatch Chile Mac & Cheese. Better than your easy mac with an ever-so-slight southwest flavor. 7 out of 10. 

Comments