Skip to main content

Trader Joe's Macaroni & Cheese


Another backlogged post. I meant to cook this around the same time frame as the white cheddar shells, but clearly I've been preoccupied for the past 6 months. Boxed mac and cheese was a childhood staple at my house.  I grew up thinking mac and cheese came from a box, and it didn't occur to me until probably middle school that you could theoretically make it from scratch. Astonishing, I know. So much nostalgia in this box! Oh the memories of almost setting my house on fire at age 8, scarfing down Easy Mac before swim practice during grade school...





 $0.99 per box. Not terrible, but I remember when each box was $0.30. 


Okay, so to TJ's credit, this mac & cheese doesn't have any artificial colors. Whoopdedoo.


"Trader Joe's Macaroni & Cheese with Wisconsin Cheddar has been carefully developed to bring you that great Cheddar cheese flavor, without the preservatives."  Stop right there. Little known fact - I was born in the great state of Wisconsin. Unfortunately, I don't have any memory of it because I moved away at a young age - but I'm pretty sure Cheddar cheese-like flavor would be a more accurate description for this. 

A recent episode of my favorite podcast summarizes my feelings about this product.  What was I thinking. I haven't consumed boxed mac & cheese in YEARS.  I cannot believe that I lived off of boxed mac & cheese for a good part of my childhood. It is so gross. How in the world did I ever eat this?? I'll admit I got a thrill stirring the cheese powder into the cooked pasta, dissolving it into a nostalgic pool of milk and butter, but HOW did I ever enjoy this? It's ridiculously salty, lacks any resemblance to real cheddar cheese, and needed some serious doctoring for it to be edible. I chopped up some cherry tomatoes and sprinkled in some TJ's chili sauce, which disguised the artificial taste enough for me to eat it. 


I probably need to bump up the other rating I gave for the cheddar shells, because this boxed mac & cheese makes that one seem gourmet. Somewhere during my college years, I developed snobbier taste buds and outgrew highly processed mac & cheese. Sad? Not really. Buzzfeed has since introduced me to a whole new world of mac & cheese. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Macaroni & Cheese. Unless you 1) love processed mac & cheese or 2) really can't spare the extra $0.50 to buy the organic white shells, I'd skip this. 3 out of 10. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trader Joe's Matcha Green Tea

Dear reader, you may notice in the coming days that there are changes coming to this blog. Not nearly as dramatic, controversial, or dlfjepotigfjad;lkgjadsf (for my readers not as fluent in internet speak, that was a keyboard pound of frustration) as say, the government, but changes nonetheless. Mostly because there is coming a day where I will not live within a stone's throw of a Trader Joe's store. A sad sad day. But probably a good day for my wallet. :P 

Trader Joe's Crispy Crunchy Mochi Rice Nuggets

THE PACKAGING THO. HOW CAN I RESIST THAT. 

I immediately thought of School of Rock of course. What nuggets have to do with a band, I don't know. Is this another attempt at cultural appropriation? Perhaps not! Leave it to the Japanese to connect random things together usually in an ingenious way. Also, the singer says "Crispy" while the drummer says "Crunchy." THAT IS TOO CUTE. GAHHH I'm sold. 

Trader Joe's Umami and Ginger Paste

I'm a big fan of the condiment section at TJ's, not because everything is ridiculously good but you can really find some hidden gems and get a good bang for your buck. ;D 
I cannot vouch for all of the spices and condiments - like salt, soy sauce, sriracha (no I haven't tried TJ's brand sriracha) I would buy elsewhere. However, because most of the spices have the same $1.99 flat price, you can get decent deals on things like curry powder, turmeric, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon sticks, and ground ginger.