Trader Joe's Chicken Cilantro Mini Wontons

I can think of only three good reasons why food is acceptable in "mini" form. 

1) If you're a baby. Mini food is good for honing fine motor skills, and it's more proportional to their little mouths and stomachs. But babies often eat foods that are way too big for their faces anyway.

2) If you're dieting. Mini food justifies you eating multiple pieces without any remorse. Because why not. 

3) If it looks so darn cute. If you can make it look cute, people will buy it. Yes, even baby kale

As for me and these mini wontons,

1) I'm not a baby. I'm a grown woman. 
2) The only diet I was ever on was the wedding diet (which is over because once you're married who cares. :P), and even then it was more like a see food diet. I see it. I eat it. 
3) Okay so I fell victim to this. Mini wontons are cute in theory, but in reality they look meat-deprived and rather pitiful. 




I had such confidence after tasting the pork and chicken gyoza potstickers that I thought I'd try these (and the rest of the Trader Joe's gyoza family. Eventually that is).


Kudos to the dipping sauce on the back of the package, because y'all gonna need it for this one. Pretty lacking in the flavor department. Chicken is healthier but less flavorful of course. Definitely tasted the cilantro but without a strong, meaty base the cilantro can't really do much. Not to mention, if y'all happen to be in that portion of the population that hates cilantro, you will definitely gag on these. And the size! I could fit 2 or 3 on a soup spoon and probably 5 or 6 in my mouth, which is practically a third of the bag. I probably wouldn't mind the size if they were bursting with flavor, but they're just blah.



It would probably be good sick food. Bland. Add it to a bland soup. Sort of healthy. Protein. Cilantro..whatever cilantro can do for a sick person. 


TL;DR: Trader Joe's Chicken Cilantro Mini Wontons. Not for the grown, healthy people with tastebuds intact. $2.99/bag later..I'm still hungry. 4 out of 10. 

Comments