Trader Joe's Pita Crisps with Cranberries & Pumpkin Seeds

Some people eat to live. Others live to eat. I eat to eat snacks. What is life without snacks. Must be a Taiwanese thing. And look! Pumpkin! Except it's not really pumpkin, which I find completely acceptable. 




I don't know whether or not this is a "new" product. Sometimes, a product will have a "new product" sign even though it has been around for a while. I don't remember seeing this last year though, so I thought why not give it a try. The cranberry and pumpkin seed combo actually bridges fall (pumpkin) and winter (cranberry) flavors, so I'd imagine this snack should be around well into November and maybe December. 


Related but unrelated tangent: Speaking of small, family owned artisan bakery - Trader Joe's returned my email about the pickle popcorn! While they did not answer my question about why it was not advertised as a seasonal product, they did say that their supplier only produces one batch. Meaning once the batch is sold out, there's no more until next year. I suppose the same concept more or less applies here. Except I don't imagine anyone lamenting over a sudden disappearance of these pita crisp cracker things.


I know that snacks inevitably settle to the bottom of the bag during transport, which is why the bag has to have so much air, but really? This is kind of disappointing. $2.69 for 6 measly ounces. Buzzwords = small artisan bakery. Automatically adds an additional $1 to the product value. Fineeeee. 


This is one of those sweet and salty snacks that leans more sweet than salty, which is not something I particularly like but it might appeal to people with a sweet tooth. I do like these more than the fig and olive crackers but not as much as the kettle popped sweet & salty popcorn chips (review to come...eventually). It's a very sturdy pita chip/cracker and has more crunch than crispness, so I wouldn't call it a crisp. The sweetness is mostly from the added sugar granules, which you can see dusted on the surface. The cranberry provides a nice tartness. As for the pumpkin seeds, I suppose it can help move your bowels but doesn't really add much tastewise. Of course, I didn't expect much pumpkin flavor because pumpkin seeds don't actually taste like pumpkin. And it doesn't taste too healthy. You know how some crackers are so chock full of flaxseed/quinoa/whole grain/wheatgrass/kale/whatever trendy health food they start tasting like cardboard? Not the case here. The sugar helps. :D 


To me, a crisp or cracker should lean more savory than sweet. Anything sweeter should be called a biscuit or cookie. They weren't bad, just nothing crazy out-of-this-world-ridiculously-good to justify the price. I enjoyed these most with feta cheese. The salty cheese complemented the sweet and tart flavors. Goat cheese would get the job done just as well. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Pita Crisps with Cranberries & Pumpkin Seeds. Crunchy, sweet, and virtually no pumpkin! 5 out of 10. 

Comments