Trader Joe's Sliced Yogurt Cultured Cheese

Welcome to a new series of what I like to call "pay more for less." The assumption is that the underlying value is that you should pay more for more and pay less for less and that the best definition of "value" is maximum quantity for the minimum price. For people who are accustomed to bulk bins, big box wholesalers like Costco or Sam's Club, never buying anything full price ever (I really thought everyone shopped like this....and later discovered during college that this is not true), it makes no sense why you would pay more for less. And it brings up the age old discussion - is Trader Joe's expensive? That gets into an almost philosophical discussion about class, culture, and economics...but y'all came here to see if this cheese is good. Maybe another day. 

What is cheese if not cultured? Is this product title redundant? Does redundancy add charm or make it look like you're trying hard to make a product look cool? In any event, I've seen non-dairy cheese, vegan cheese, but hardly any Lactaid cheese or cheese for the lactose intolerant. There's more lactose intolerant people in the world than you think; we've all just silently suffered the consequences because what is life without pizza or a charcuterie board? 


1) This cheese is made with yogurt cultures. I don't really know what that means because I've never made cheese before. But let's assume that between the microbial enzyme and the yogurt cultures, it eases digestion. Cool. 

2) The calcium content in cheese is laughable but better than nothing. Also without vitamin D, your calcium intake from cheese is virtually worthless. Aside from that, I'm eating cheese because I like it and it makes my doctor happy that I'm getting a tiny bit more calcium in my diet. 

3) It gives me vibes of a very mild swiss cheese. It just tastes...like a plain cheese, which I imagine would go over well with kids who like food on the blander side. I've been eating in sandwiches, with crackers, and just one slice at a time as a snack. Like a kid. 

4) Yes, it is very digestible. No lactase required for me. :P

5) It's also $4.99 for 12 oz, which means it's like $6.65 ish per pound. Considering that I grew up on bulk quantities of fake cheese...that sticker price is a bit much. Hence paying more for less. 

5b) But also...I haven't seen Lactaid cheeses or a comparable product at other grocery stores. Sooo yay for TJ's for thinking of the lactose intolerant. 

6) It is a sometimes buy for me because frankly, it is a bit much for a not-bougie cheese that will not make it to a charcuterie board. It's not break-the-bank expensive, but it's not exactly the cheapest cheese out there. But I guess when you're lactose intolerant, you have to pay for your cheese consumption, one way or another. 

Trader Joe's Sliced Yogurt Cultured Cheese. A mild, Lactaid cheese. 7 out of 10. Mantou Joe repurchase? Sometimes!

Comments

  1. I think you mean silently not-so-silently suffered :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cheese are delicious, I don’t know why trade joes discontinue, please bring the yogurt cheese back

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! For years yogurt cheese has been my family's mainstay for lunches. It's an ideal (lactose-free) substitute for mozzarella or havarti in common recipes and it melts perfectly for grilled cheese sandwich and omelettes. I've just called every market, large and small, in my metropolitan area and none carries it. Please, Trader Joe, bring it back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to make lasagna for my family on Christmas and found it’s discontinued. Most of my kids and myself are lactose intolerant and have bought this cheese for long time. I found another lactose free cheese at T Joe’s but doesn’t taste as good or melts as good. One employee told me they discontinued the yogur cheese because the provider would bring few at a time. I am not sure about that since I always found it at the store. I am guessing not so many people buys it since so many people thinks they can digest lactose but they have “other digestive issues”. I know the people from T Joe’s are very kind and I hope they bring it back!!! I sometimes will make a trip to buy this cheese since I live far from the store and being there will get the rest of my week groceries!!!🤩

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sad that they discontinued this cheese again! If you want them to bring it back (like they did a few years ago), you can leave a note here:
    https://www.traderjoes.com/home/contact-us/product-feedback

    Our feedback worked last time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment