Trader Joe's Spicy Chakri Mix

It's safe to say that I haven't really had anything like this. The closest thing I've had to this new Indian style snack mix is the Japanese version - and the only thing that may have been similar is the fact that the Japanese snack mix also had slivers of thin crunchy bits. Thanks, Trader Joe's, for helping us try new things. 

Chakri, per the internet, is a crispy spiral-shaped Gujarati snack. No spirals here, but the tubular things with the spikes are pieces of chakri that have been broken into smaller pieces. Plus, it's combined with a few other crunchy bits and seasoned for a snack mix that I can imagine being served in small bowls on a coffee table along with some tea. Like small plates of nibbles that you have around in case you have company. Not much of that happening around here these days, cuz y'know COVID cases are rising (and yes, it would behoove us as a nation to care lol), but nice to think of wistfully. 

This small bag has 8 servings! Wow! That seems right too. Sometimes I forget that snacks aren't actually meant to be consumed by one person in one, two, maybe three servings. :P 


1) My number one complaint - functionally speaking, this snack is hard to eat. Perhaps I am used to American approaches toward snacking where the pieces are bigger and easier to consume by the handful, mouthful, or whatever-ful that you choose. If I try to eat it by the handful, the pieces are so small that some of it gets stuck to my hand so I inevitably either drop crumbs all over the place or I have to lick my hand to pick up the remnants. And if I try to eat it daintily, one tiny piece at a time is kind of a slow pace for snacking. As for trying to snack on this while using chopsticks (not my usual habit but sometimes in handy for things like popcorn and any snack with cheese dust)? It's too much of an exercise (but probably good for fine motor skills and patience). 

2) The seasoning is very good. It's spicy without being too spicy. It's salty without being too salty. It has a warmth without being too warm. I love the aroma and flavor of the curry leaves. And no, it doesn't taste like a curry. 

3) The snack mix is nice and crunchy and has different kinds of crunch. I don't know the names of each different thing in there but it's all quite pleasant. I like the split chickpeas and the actual chakri things the best. 

4) This is something I would serve in tiny dipping bowls. And because the pieces are so tiny, it actually works to keep my snacking habits in check - it takes longer for me to eat so I end up eating less. Sort of. 

5) $2.99 for this 7 oz bag. If you want to try something different and flavorful, it's worth the try. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Spicy Chakri Mix. Yay for TJs expanding their snacking options. Flavor packed small crunchy bits. 8 out of 10. 

Comments

  1. I’m not sure if this helps but as someone who grew up with these mixes, my fav use is as an addition to something.

    Ex. Rasam (a thin tomato soup like dish) over hot plain rice and ghee with pieces of chakli/chakri to go with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really helpful! And that sounds absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment