Trader Joe's Pumpkin Brioche Twist

I shared recently that I've made peace with pumpkin spice. I used to be in the "PUMPKIN SPICE IS SO OVERRATED DOWN WITH PUMPKIN SPICE" camp. Saying that I am no longer raging against pumpkin spice doesn't mean that I've suddenly swung to the other side (the...left side? For some reason, on this scale of affinity for pumpkin spice, I think PSL lovers are on the left? Or should they be on the right?) Must my affection for pumpkin spice be labeled and categorized? Can't I just enjoy it in moderation and find something appreciable about the Dunkin Donuts pumpkin spice latte? (Confession: I enjoyed it, although I did ask for half the amount of pumpkin flavoring and took it home to mix in more of my own coffee to amp up the coffee flavor) Anyhoo, I am open but careful about what kind of pumpkin spice products I consume, because frankly not all pumpkin spice is good (and not all pumpkin spice is bad). I picked up this pumpkin brioche bread, thinking that it wouldn't be bad. 

Oh it wasn't bad, if we're defining bad as the way it should be defined - horrible and denounceable. Attractive packaging can cover a multitude of sins! But it certainly can't atone for them! 

I figured the same people that made the regular brioche bread also made this bread. It's not a health food at all and has all the things that the Harvard doctors (that I am now listening to for nutritional advice vs my Asian mother, sorry mom) say we all need to reduce from our diets (refined carbs and sugar and unhealthy fats!).The actual pumpkin pie spice looks reasonable, and it seems that the pumpkin is there for show and accounts for a small amount of potassium. Woohoo. 

1) Unlike the regular brioche, this bread is DRY. Nothing on the packaging indicates that this product is made in France, so it makes me wonder if the same manufacturer is actually responsible for this product. Right out of the package, this bread tastes like day-old or two day-old bread. I get that packaged bread isn't exactly known for its freshness, but this was disappointing nonetheless. 

2) I don't feel like there's enough of a twist, pumpkin pie spice or otherwise, to warrant calling this bread pumpkin brioche twist as opposed to just pumpkin brioche. But minor details. 

2a) But the package description is accurate! I mean it is what it says it is...lightly sweet with a hint of warm spice. It just leaves little to be desired and requires enhancement. 

3) I sort of wish there was more pumpkin flavor. All that's detectable is a cinnamon swirl. And yes, in my years of dragging pumpkin spice products, we all know that pumpkin itself doesn't have a taste. But they could have definitely spiced it a bit more. 

 4) The TJ's cashier told me he used this bread to make French toast, and it turned out really well. I ended up making french toast because that's what I had to do to make this toast sort of enjoyable. BTW, I grew up eating french toast only when we needed to use up leftover, stale bread. Sooooo the fact that I have to doctor a new product to make it enjoyable tells me that the product itself might have some issues. 

5) The doctoring included dredging it in a batter of milk, eggs, a splash of vanilla, and additional pumpkin pie spice; grilling it on a buttered skillet, and drizzling it with a bit of maple syrup. It goes without saying that giving any old bread that kind of treatment will instantly make it better. 

6) At $3.99 per loaf, if you are committed to having pumpkin spice French toast, it is probably better to buy the regular brioche bread, soak it in a homemade custard/pumpkin pie spice egg wash situation, and top it with all the pumpkin fixings to your heart's desire. 

7) This was a disappointing buy and not worth the calories. No repurchase for me. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Pumpkin Brioche Twist. Dry packaged brioche with minimal pumpkin, autumnal vibes. 5 out of 10. 

Comments

  1. I agree it was very light and dry. I used it for french toast which worked great or if you toast it and put butter on it .. lovely.. but you don't want to eat this just as is.. it needs something to moisten it. I am going to try making pumpkin bread pudding with it as I think it will work very well there too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment