Trader Joe's Murasaki Sweet Potato Chips

I'm a big fan of Murasaki sweet potatoes. Murasaki potatoes are Japanese yams. TJ's carries Murasaki sweet potatoes I think seasonally. The only other place that I see them are at Korean and Japanese supermarkets. They have a pale yellow, almost white flesh with a purple skin. It has the nutritional benefits of a sweet potato but is starchier and more satisfying to eat. Steamed, baked, or mashed - they all taste good and they're wholesome. Potato chips on the other hand are not so wholesome, but they spark joy so here we are. 

This is a limited edition buy apparently because according to the Trader Joe's podcast (a great non-Instagram source for up and coming new products btw) they are sourced from a single farm in California. I suppose it's a good reminder that our food and snacks do come from somewhere and that there isn't actually an unlimited supply of food out there. Or a foolproof supply chain for that matter.

I don't understand this "chestnut-like sweetness" description. I've never had a roasted chestnut, although we are approaching that season very soon. Heh. 

Please note that the nutritional facts on this particular label are inaccurate. According to Reddit (if it's on Reddit, it must be true! :P), the dietary fiber is printed in error and is actually supposed to be 2g per serving. A health food made into a junk food is no longer a health food. 


1) I was not terribly impressed by these chips, mainly because when it comes to chips, I like a particular kind. Crunchy. A bit greasy. Flavorful. Preferably kettle-cooked. 

1a) These chips appeal to an Asian palate. By Asian palate, I mean a palate that prefers things that are less sweet, less salty, and perhaps a bit healthier tasting. Which applies to a lot of Asians. And maybe health conscious people. So then, these are the chips I would give to my mother to try even though I don't think she would be that interested.

2) The texture is close to the regular sweet potato chips or the root vegetable chips. It's thinner, more like leaves or thick shards of ribbon. It does have that oiliness but not the greasiness of a potato chip. They are crisp but not crunchy - they snap but they don't have that satisfying crunch of like a Lays or a Kettle-cooked chip. None of these things are bad things. Again, if I'm going to eat a potato chip, I prefer to eat chips that I find satisfying. 

3) They are less sweet compared to the sweet potato chips, but they are also a bit milder (re: blander. Definitely lightly salted).  Yes, the starchiness makes it more like a regular potato chip. I've never had chestnuts so I really can't comment on whether or not that is present. Is there a hint of earthiness? Sure

4) $2.99 for a 6 oz. bag. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Murasaki Sweet Potato Chips. Japanese yam almost-just-regular-mild potato chips. 7.5 out of 10. Mantou Joe repurchase? I'd rather eat the Murasaki potatoes themselves and other chips over these chips. 

Comments