Trader Joe's Sea Salted Saddle Potato Crisps


If this packaging looks familiar to you, yes, you are correct. It's a dupe or at the very least an attempt at duping the Pringle. Except no company for legal reasons can actually say that on record. As for the creepy green man with the curly mustache and eclectic pants, well he and his cousins are recurring figures on random Trader Joe's snack packaging. 

I used to love Pringles. Any flavor really. I especially have a soft spot for pizza flavored Pringles. They tasted vaguely of something pizza esque, but it's the fact that someone could theoretically engineer an atypical flavor into a chip that appealed to me most. 

But this is Trader Joe's. If there's going to be an atypical weird flavor, you're probably going to find it in a hummus and not on a snack food dupe. 

It's been too long since I've had an authentic Pringle. I kind of lost the taste for it after one year I ate too many and threw up in the Chinese school parking lot. But the ingredients and nutrition facts look comparable. 

1) I'm not sure that this shape is actually saddle-like for me. The shape is less curved and pronounced compared to the original Pringle. They are flatter and wider, sort of like bigger versions of those stick-on fake nails. 

2) I don't mind the shape. The saddle crisps actually fit my mouth better, which is great for eating but maybe less fun compared to the Pringle. Then again, perhaps Pringles did an excellent job brainwashing me with the advertisements that showed people playing with their crisps by making duck faces. Like holding two Pringles in your mouth so you have a literal duck bill....not the pouty face you put on for a selfie when you're feeling yourself. :P 

3) The taste and crispness are comparable. A says it tastes a bit healthier. It's maybe a tad less salty and maybe a bit less oily/fatty in my imagination. 

4) A likes them so we have repurchased this. I'm still partial to the kettle-cooked chip variety, so these are just alright in my book. 

5) $1.49 for one 5.2oz cylinder. 

6) Really nothing special. If you're a TJ's newbie, you can skip this. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Sea Salted Saddle Potato Crisps. The TJ's-we-duped-but-didn't-violate-any-copyright-infringement-laws-Pringle crisp. 7 out of 10. 


Comments