Simpler Wines Mango Flavor Italian Wine Cocktail

Before I begin, I must share with you a number of disclaimers. I'm not much of a wine drinker. Or an alcohol drinker period. I once told a waiter that I like fruity flavored things but aren't so fruity that they taste like juice. He produced a nice aromatic Riesling (definitely made up that description). So all this to say - I don't really know what I'm talking about, if accuracy matters to you. Consider this thoughts on canned wine from a once-a-blue-moon-certainly-not-a-connoisseur-social-drinker.  



This is an aesthetically pleasing canned wine that TJ's carries. I've tried the rose version before but since I haven't been able to try some of the other flavors since I don't get enough chances to go to a TJ's that carries liquor. But the concept is simple - nice minimal, on-the-go cans for fun times at a moment's notice. 

Product of Italy. 8% alcohol by volume, which apparently makes this drink less alcoholic than some of the other flavors that are 10% alcohol.

1) Who am I to decline a mango flavored drink and a mango flavored alcoholic drink at that? I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE mango. And when you pop the tab, yes there is a nice whiff of mango. But I couldn't really smell the mango after that, and if you can't smell it is it really there?

2) The mango is definitely there but the first couple of sips straight from the can gave me straight up acetone vibes, which made me question everything. Like...am I doing this right? Is drinking wine supposed to be like drinking something spiked with acetone? Is it just..."dry" and my unsophisticated palate is interpreting it as acetone?

3) Thank God for the internet. Someone suggested pouring it into a proper glass (or in my case a hipster mason jar glass cuz ya girl doesn't own proper wine glasses) to smell and taste the wine better. It certainly improved the taste and smell. I acclimated to the smell that my brain interpreted as acetone. I could definitely smell and taste the mango better when sniffing from a glass vs the can. Whiffing? Wafting? Sniffing? Sniffing sounds weird. But anyways, pouring it into a separate vessel definitely lifted the taste.

4) It's pleasant and does the job for me. It's fruity and slightly sweet (I would not be able to guess this was mango though) without being like juice. And it's a little bubbly. The finish is whatever the opposite of dry is. Idk man, I really wouldn't know, nor do I think I need to know.

5) But is it better than White Claw though? Uhh...two different things y'all. Spiked seltzer and fruity wine cocktails are not the same. But would I drink both? Yes.

6) $4.99 for a box of four cans. You and three friends in a park. Or other scenarios involving you and a friend or you and yourself. Y'all do y'all.

TL;DR: Simpler Wines Brand Mango Flavor Italian Wine Cocktail. Convenient, nicely packaged, slightly Mango flavored fizzy white wine. Just enough sweetness and alcohol to satisfy a non-alcohol-drinker. 8 out of 10. Mantou Joe repurchase? Mmmmmmm...a glass of wine later, I'm leaning yes. :P 

Comments