Trader Joe's Strawberry Mochi Ice Cream

In previous blogposts, I have said that I wanted more mochi flavors. Except do I really need more flavors? Not actually...I'm fine with the current selection. Green tea is the best. Then vanilla or the chocolate peanut butter for company. Trader Joe's could honestly come out with 10 more flavors, which I will gladly try. It's just that I know I will repurchase the same flavors over and over even if there were 21 other flavors there. 



It's pink. Pink foods are great. Valentine's Day is coming up. Forget the overly commercialized heart-themed food products - strawberry mochi would suffice in my opinion. 

 Defrosting the mochi ice creams for a few minutes before eating is key for best texture.

I'm not much of an ice cream person, but mochi ice creams are easy to eat. They're neatly packaged and portion-controlled. Not a health food, but the ingredients are pretty decent.

My box had some packaging issues - I don't think the plastic packaging is airtight, which is why the condensation froze into little bits of ice.

1) The rice dough is the same as always - perfect chewiness, not too thick, not too thin. Just the perfect wrapping for ice cream.

2) Strawberry ice cream isn't my favorite flavor but I do enjoy it from time to time. Was this the best strawberry ice cream ever? No not at all. I like strawberry ice cream that tastes of fresh strawberries and this wasn't it. Just a standard, generic strawberry-flavored ice cream versus the freshest, best strawberry ice cream you've ever had.

3) Which is why it doesn't spark enough joy for me to repurchase. But it's fine. It is what it is. I'm not particularly enamored with it but if you like a standard strawberry ice cream and you find it more appealing than green tea or vanilla these would be a good choice.

4) As always, $4.49 for a box of 6 mochi ice creams.

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Strawberry Mochi Ice Cream. The same classic mochi ice cream with a safe, uninspired strawberry ice cream middle. 7.5 out of 10. Mantou Joe repurchase? Green tea and vanilla for me please. 

Comments