Trader Joe's Furikake Seasoning

Overheard on the internet - "It's the Japanese version of Everything-But-the-Bagel-Seasoning." Uhhh...sort of, if we're speaking analogously. Multi-purpose seasoning? Sure. I have not studied Japanese, but apparently the word furikake literally means "to sprinkle over," meaning it's a seasoning meant to be sprinkled over arguably the most important food in Asian cuisine, rice. So for a Japanese person, it's the seasoning you can add to the food that you eat every single day. And yet times are changing - do I put Everything-But-the-Bagel-Seasoning on everything? Not literally, no, but more things that you would think. So could I put furikake on everything like Everything-But-the-Bagel? In theory, yes. 


I like asking a different question when it comes to the application of different multipurpose seasonings. It's not a question of whether or not I can sprinkle this atop something; it's a question of whether or not I should. Can and should are two different things y'all.

But in case you were at a loss of ideas - rice, eggs, ramen, fish, and popcorn are a good place to start. In fact, my TJ's displays the furikake seasoning next to the cup noodles.

This is a pretty healthy seasoning. The sodium count isn't too high. It's low calorie. It's also pretty basic - just sesame seeds, nori, salt, and kelp powder. Obviously TJ's customers want their products without artificial ingredients - but can I just say the furikake seasonings that taste really good have all sorts of fish or fish-like seasoning and MSG and other things that the Japanese have really gotten down to a science. But for the TJ's market, I'll take this. 

To me, this is indisputable proof that this product is indeed made in Japan. Yesssss.

To test this product's efficacy, I sprinkled it on the most unexciting food I had in my fridge - leftovers. Brown rice (a TJ's one..so terrible I'm just trying to finish it), leftover beets, chicken thighs, and kimchi.

1) The pour spout is quite large - you must be careful otherwise you'll use a lot more seasoning than you intend.

2) You do have to like seaweed in order to like this product. The flavor of this is pretty decent and good. There's ample sesame throughout, which is a classic pairing with seaweed. It's just a bit basic. I find it to be missing a little something something, which goes to show you that I'm used to the taste of other Japanese furikake blends.

3) This product isn't that salty, which is great if you're health conscious. If you like your food a bit saltier, then you'll find yourself adding more salt.

4) $2.49 for a jar this size is a very reasonable price. I wish this product existed in college - eggs, this, and rice. Maybe some kimchi. We would have been set. :P

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Furikake Seasoning. Basic, simple Japanese seasoning to sprinkle over rice...and I guess whatever you choose. 7.5 out of 10. Mantou Joe repurchase? I'm not opposed.

Comments