Trader Joe's Chocolate Hummus

I first tried chocolate hummus earlier this spring. That's right - dessert hummus. In my coworker's words, "don't knock it until you try it." Like dessert cheese, except we like cheesecake but would probably pass on a hummus cake. Anyway, I tried a version from a regular supermarket and actually liked it. Of course, I expected Trader Joe's to jump on this sweet hummus bandwagon, so here we are. 



As of now, chocolate is the only flavor available at Trader Joe's. Time will tell if this product does well enough to warrant production of more flavors. I've seen an explosion of dessert hummuses (hummi?) at my local supermarket - pumpkin spice, peppermint, cake butter, salted caramel, etc. So if you like sweet dips or you're adventurous, be my guest. 

My guess is that chocolate hummus was birthed from an effort to healthify nutella. The ingredients here aren't too bad. It's not too high in sugar (comparable to the amount of sugar in the other brand I tried).

1) I am not as impressed with this chocolate hummus as I was with the first one I tried. I'm not sure why because I don't think this version is that different. Perhaps the first time I was impressed by the novelty of a chocolate hummus.

2) It does taste like chocolate but it's not super sweet. The texture is thick and creamy, like a hummus. The texture might be a little off-putting to some people because while it is smooth, it still has a bean-like consistency throughout. So...chocolate bean dip anyone?

3) It's alright on toast. It's a decent healthy alternative to nutella, I guess, where I guess you could eat it for breakfast everyday. But is it a replacement? Depends on how much you need that silky sweet nutella.

4) I don't find myself having to be super self-controlled about this product because I'm not a huge fan of the texture. For some reason the texture combined with a sweet flavor just doesn't jive with my palate.

5) $1.99 for one 8 oz serving is inexpensive though, so it's worth trying if you're intrigued to decide for yourself.

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Chocolate Hummus. Chocolate bean dip. 7 out of 10. Mantou Joe repurchase? You can pry the nutella and cookie butter from my cold dead hands. Thank u next. 

Comments