Trader Joe's Pumpkin Pie Spiced Ginger Brew

If you add pumpkin pie spice to an already-spiced beverage, does it make a difference? Even if it doesn't, does it matter?


I haven't written a formal review, but TJ's carries a seasonal ginger brew with a red label in the same bottle. It's probably out in the stores now, but that product is for people who are serious about their ginger ale. This product crosses that seasonal favorite with pumpkin pie spice. Interesting? Sure.

1) I don't drink soda, so I'm not used to drinking that much sugar. 

2) The TJ's website description claims that the brewer created a "fizzy mulled apple cider-like" base. And while yes, 49% of this product is apparently just apple juice. I couldn't really taste the apple at all. I couldn't really taste anything except the ginger. 

3) I will say this - my review is limited in nature because I had to judge this based on my memory of the taste of the holiday ginger brew. I *think* this pumpkin pie spiced version is a tad sweeter than the regular ginger brew, but the ginger overpowers any pumpkin pie spice that is there. I'm not against that, but it's just hard for any spice to stand up to ginger flavor. Maybe if I close my eyes and play some mind games on myself, I can taste the pumpkin pie spice. 

4) "It just tastes like ginger ale" was the consensus around the tasting table. A tasty ginger ale though. Minus points for poor interpretation but plus points for execution? (It's figure skating season y'all, hah.) 

5) $2.99 for 750ml or two 12-oz sodas. Pretty tasty and worth if you like ginger ale and ceremonial pumpkin spice. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Pumpkin Pie Spiced Ginger Brew. Ginger ale with a splash of imaginary pumpkin pie spice. 8 out of 10. 



Comments