Trader Joe's Pumpkin Spice Biocellulose Face Mask

I have no desire to become a pumpkin. I also have no desire to put pumpkin pie spice on my face. But ya girl appreciates a good face mask. It's not easy looking half my age, but soon enough I'll be at the age where I'll have to try. All said in jest of course. Youthfulness is great, but you know what's better than looking young? Looking alive. And not like a zombie like all the time. #nightshiftproblems 


I feel like this could be a Family Feud game show question - "name something you buy that smells like pumpkin spice." And some TJ's developer was like, "FACE MASK!" And Steve Harvey stares at the camera thinking, "that's a bad answer" and it earns like zero points. Because you smell pumpkin pie spice. You eat pumpkin pie spice. But why do you actually want to put it on your face? Health benefits of course. 

 I am no skincare guru and ain't got time nor the attention span to do the research on whether or not these ingredients are good or actually beneficial. Also, what is biocellulose? The same sounds a little redundant IMO. Apparently it is synthesized from good bacteria (Acetobacter Xylinum + some sugar it likes, thanks internet), which apparently forms a ribbons of this bio celluose fiber that can be used for cosmetic purposes. In the words of a scientist, "The bacteria poop out the cellulose; you purify it, collect it, and then make a mask out of it." It's not only biodegradable - these fibers are apparently 1000x finer than human hair but also stronger than regular plant cellulose, which means they are incredibly hydrophilic. Which means it holds a ton of moisture and can hold onto your face. Which must mean it can put a ton of moisture on your face. YES THERE'S THE APPLICATION THAT SPEAKS TO ME. 

1) My first impression - I am not a fan of the smell. I was expecting like a nice warm cozy smell, like a nice candle or a pumpkin spice baked good bubbling from my oven. Nope - smells like floral-y but earthy. Like a walk through the woods in the form of a burning cheap Michael's candle. Not a terrible smell but it sure it ain't cute when it's pressed up against your nostrils.

2) Smell aside - this product takes a bit more work to get out of the package, but it makes sense that you have to peel off the liners are both sides. The actual biocelluose is incredibly adherent so if it didn't have the liners, you'd never be able to get it onto your face.

3) The biocellulose is a very nice material! It's soft, stretchy, but tight - like a good pair of leggings. Like so tight I had to mouth-breathe as to not occlude my nostrils every time I inhaled. It really stays in place and does not slide off your face.

4) I did this mask at night, rinsed off a bit of the excess residue, and patted the rest of the serum into my face. The next morning, my skin felt remarkably smooth and hydrated and looked pretty plump. Very impressive and not the case with many sheet masks. Then again, many other sheet masks are like putting a glorified piece of wet paper towel on your face. Not biodegradable, high-tech, leggings-for-your-face mask. :P

5) $2.99 is more expensive than my $0.33 Korean sheet mask from LotteMart, I know. But if you consider other more famous, bougie biocellulose face masks on the market (like this $7.50 one from Dr. Jart or this $24 from Tatcha), this is a steal.

6) I still knock off 2 points for the smell. Bring me this product minus the fragrance, and I'll give it a 10.

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Pumpkin Spice Biocellulose Face Mask. Fragrance is pretty subjective, but cheap candle-smelling, moisturizing-bougie-leggings-for-your-face mask. 8 out of 10. Mantou Joe repurchase? I will repurchase in mass quantities a non-fragranced version of this product. 

Comments