Trader Joe's Dried Sweetened Hibiscus Flowers

When I first saw these on the shelves, I wondered why I would ever need to eat dried flowers. I understand hibiscus tea, which is a summer seasonal item (refrigerated and tea bag version), but the dried flower petals? Nonetheless, a friend introduced these to me during a hiking trip, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. 


It's hard to judge a product when the packaging neither shows the actual food nor gives you a picture of what to expect.

Minimal ingredients, product of Thailand, which says to me that this might actually be a thing more common in Asian countries.

1) Do these not look like demogorgon heads??? I mean, it's pink and it sorta looks like a flower but I wouldn't call these cute.

2) Given that I've never tasted these before, I can't really comment on whether or not this is "true to flavor." But they are sweet and tart (like almost cranberry tart) with a slight earthy/herbal-y undertone.

3) They're chewy but without being too tough like shoe leather. Or fruit leather. Some people go for that leathery texture, I don't.

4) These are probably gone with the season (hi pumpkin spice invasion), but they run $1.99 per bag. Worth picking up when summer is trendy again.

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Dried Sweetened Hibiscus Flowers. The dried fruit you never thought to eat. Give it go. 8 out of 10. Mantou Joe Repurchase? Actually, yes. 

Comments