Trader Joe's Chocolate Brooklyn Babka

I first learned about babkas from watching the Great British Bake-Off (baking show if you're American). But do I really know what it is? I don't know anymore. Apparently no one owns authenticity anymore because we borrow and steal and mix and mash and make everything our own these days, often to the chagrin of the originators or the people clamoring for that title. It's a complex world y'all. All I know of a babka is that it's a sweet, enriched yeasted dough baked into a bread, maybe a cake depending on who you're asking, and flavored with whatever you want. In this case, adapted by TJ's and flavored with chocolate. Not something I would usually be curious to try on my own but enabled by a friend, thanks! :)



I have a baseline indifference toward store-bought baked goods. That's no secret. But supermarket baked goods was how I first discovered so many desserts, so hats off to TJ's for introducing different pastries and baked goods to the masses who wouldn't otherwise be able to trek to Brooklyn or another Jewish bakery where babka is made. 


 In typical TJ's fashion, this babka isn't huge, and even though we know theoretically that this loaf is supposed to be shared and not consumed in a single sitting, it's still pretty jarring to read that this modest loaf contains nine servings.

I can't remember and am not sure if a "traditional" babka contains rolled layers like this. This one has layers of thin pastry and is baked into a bread. Or cake loaf. Y'all can argue and pick which one you want to call it- I don't particularly care. And flecked with chocolate chips. Woohoo.

1) Like many store-bought baked goods, this babka is overall a bit dry for my taste. The outermost layers were especially dry.

2) The rolled layers remind me of a cinnamon roll, except thinner and chewier and less bread-y.

3) I do like the chocolate filling. It's pretty decadent and chocolatey and is nicely layered between each piece of dough. Sweet and decadent with a light hint of bittersweetness. If you like chocolate, I don't see you having any complaints about this.

4) I prefer this heated up in the toaster oven. What baked good doesn't taste better warm?

I concede that even with my indifference, I can see the appeal for this kind of product. I love to bake, but I can't imagine ever desiring to make myself a babka. And this isn't half-bad, but also not particularly memorable for me. While I wouldn't personally repurchase, I wouldn't discourage other people from doing so, especially if you love carbs sandwiched with chocolate.

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Chocolate Brooklyn Babka. Store-bought bread/cake/something loaf with rolled layers of sweet pastry and chocolate. 6 out of 10. Mantou Joe repurchase? Thank U Next. 

Comments

Post a Comment