Trader Joe's Pepita Salsa

This post serves to remind you that this product existed and was kinda hype at one point before the temperatures plummeted, and turkey and chocolates invaded the shelves. I picked this up and tried it out maybe a month ago and never got around to posting the review. Life happens and I get preoccupied with making birthday cakes and such. 
Can I just say - I am so happy that as far as I am aware TJs has never made a pumpkin spice salsa? THANK YOU.

What do pepitas actually add to a salsa, objectively speaking? Taste? Texture? Or nothing? In any event, it's just nice that they are being used and appreciated instead of being tossed out with the garbage. 

Decently simple ingredients - I like a good savory salsa. Fruit salsas, no thank you.
It's a fine salsa. I like it. Nothing life-changing though. It's a heavy tomato base with a thinner consistency, almost to the point of a sauce rather than a salsa. It definitely has a bit of a kick - I'd say moderate but perhaps some people might find this not at all spicy. As suspected, the pepitas don't add much flavor or  value to the salsa. They are just there, barely noticeable. They don't have any crunch at all but at least they aren't soggy. I personally like the fall harvest salsa better because that one has a more balanced flavor because it has a bit of sweetness that balances the salt and acidity. $2.99 per jar. It's alright, not a must-have but a solid pick.

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Pepita Salsa. Tomato sauce salsa. With some pepitas - almost forgot about those. 7 out of 10. 


Comments