Trader Joe's Falafel Mix

Today, I type this whilst the sun shines, the snow melts, and . Maybe that last part is more imaginative than real at this point. But a few days ago, there was yet another nor'easter. And with that - mass shopping raids at Trader Joe's. I find it fascinating what people buy in preparation for big snowstorms. It tells you a lot about the person, sometimes. Are you about the bread and milk? What's your snowstorm ride or die food? 


This isn't ride or die, at least I don't think so. Rather, I think snowstorms present the perfect opportunity to try new things, because you need something to do other than watch Netflix. While I love Mediterranean food and baking/cooking/DIY type things in the kitchen, my favorite falafel place sits a mere five minutes from my house. So why would I ever want to make this? I blame [nor'easter]Toby.


"Just add water" also sold it pretty well. That's how Betty Crocker made a fortune from cake mix. 


The box doesn't specify exactly what spices are used, but when I opened the package it smelled exactly like what I smell in just about any falafel shop. But if I had to guess, it's probably a mixture of coriander, paprika, garlic, cumin, and pepper. 


Sooo originally I intended to test this falafel mix three different ways - fried as recommended on the package, baked, and air-fried. I'm still not convinced about the air fryer hype BTW. And of course, I swapped the amounts of water and mix called for per package directions and ended up using too much water. So even though I let the mixture rest per instructions, the batter looked wayyy too runny. And I had used basically the entire package...what to do...


This is why mistakes and mishaps aren't always bad. Some of them become detours to better things, like the fawaffle!  


 Oh man. I might not ever end up making these falafels into actual falafel balls. The waffle method is just as easy, crisps nicely, and forms a versatile shape. You can cut it up into little pieces and throw it into a pita or on a salad. Or you can eat it as a waffle. It took 6-10 minutes in my $10 waffle maker, depending how hot the iron is and how crispy you want it. I was able to make about 7 waffles with this entire box. Not bad for $2.99.



Even as a fawaffle, it has a similar texture to most average falafel that I've had. It's well-seasoned and carries a decent amount of flavor. It's not spicy, which means you can add your own sauce. Now before y'all get too excited - I have to dock points for saltiness. The more fawaffles I eat, the less I tolerate the salt. Please note that I used MORE water than what the box requires and ended up with a salty product regardless. Granted, falafel is sorta supposed to have a bit of salt and is generally eaten alongside other fixings like tangy tzatziki and fresh veg in a pita. I'm willing to try it with tzatziki to see if that cuts the saltiness, but as a person who loves salty foods, I find this to be too much. A tolerated this even less than I did.

So while I can commend this mix for price, ease of use, and end result as far as a fawaffle is concerned, I'm hesitant to recommend purely because of salt content. Granted, I haven't yet tried making it again and I might be eating it with the wrong stuff (I've tried balancing it with bland and sour tastes...so far not much success), but I'm left feeling very thirsty after each serving. Soo yes, while it's vegan and gluten-free, I wouldn't say this is the healthiest thing out there. Fair warning y'all.

If you live near a good falafel shop, I'd probably skip this. At least for me, I know that Crazy 4 Falafel makes a mean falafel with just the right amount of seasoning (and not too much salt!) and is so darn good fried fresh. But it's not a terrible pick, especially if you live in a falafel dessert. But..y'know. Salt and the newly lowered threshold for hypertension. Just saying. Anyhoo, if you do pick this up, please do try making the fawaffle. They make such a nice brunch item. Just make sure to down several glasses of water before and after. :P

If you've made this and it hasn't turned out super salty for you, I'd love to hear about it!

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Falafel Mix. Just add water...for salty falafels. Or fawaffles. Or whatever floats your boat. 6 out of 10. 

Comments

  1. Used the suggested water amount on the package and it was SO watery even after 75 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I ended up baking them in mini meatloaf pans, then bouncing them out when near ready, slicing and air-frying. It worked and the texture was okay, but they weren't good enough for me to want to try making them again.

      Delete
  2. We make this all the time and I’ve never had a watery problem or felt it was too salty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just made them. Too watery. Added more of the mix and now wait another half hour on top of the first hour...

      Delete
  3. Kind of urgent... I’m making falafel for a family and I misread 3/4 cups water per cup of mix as 3/4 cups of water per BOX... How many cups are in a box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind, I just did a Google search and it is about 3 cups per box. We’re gonna have leftovers! A LOT of leftovers!

      Delete
    2. I found a great flatbread recipe online to go with it and made a few edits (The notes section) on my own. Seriously, these are great.

      Delete
  4. Fava Beans make it bitter, not delicious at all. not too salty for me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tasted the mixture before cooking it and I too found it salty...ended up adding a can of low sodium chick peas to the mixture...then air fried them...not bad...

    ReplyDelete
  6. falafel place


    Falafel Place - Somerville, MA
    Falafel Place uses only the finest freshest ingredients & Certified Halal Meats, nothing frozen!
    All of our foods are Home-Made, created with authentic Middle eastern recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment