Trader Joe's ABC+K Slaw

Maybe you're thinking, "my diet starts next year." I got news for y'all. Next year is in two days. Three if you think New Years Day doesn't count. Or maybe you think that one cannot simply subsist on cookies. Tell that to your nightshift nurses. I am not one to refuse a jam-filled shortbread. :P 



I saw this ABC+K slaw on Instagram, which is where I first find a lot of new TJ's stuff if I don't stumble upon it first in store. By the way, don't believe everything you see on Insta. It'll only make you want to buy more things, and we all know that too often things look wayyyy better and tastier on social media than they do in real life. Anyway, this product name is kinda meta, no? ABC+K indicates the main components (apple, beet, carrot, and kale) of this slaw but also the vitamins inside. I'm nerding out y'all. 


Can't say that I'm a huge fan of slaws. They conjure up an image of dry, waxy cabbage and a bunch of dry, hard-to-chew, and generally gross raw veg. But check out that color. 


This container apparently has 3 servings. So...3 servings that fit in the little plastic container that comes with your deli sandwich. Or you could just eat the whole thing like I did for a more satisfying lunch. 


Some people think that if you're going to eat a salad, you might as well make it dry and miserable [to reflect the miserable state of your existence]. A stands in that camp. If salad isn't a food, why bother to make it taste good? To that, I give a giant eye roll. This salad has all the crucial components that, to me, make a salad delicious and a little more than just dry veg on a plate. A good salad can even take things that you wouldn't normally eat and make it taste good. The color variety makes it of course aesthetically pleasing. The level of crunch does require a bit of chewing, which is given for a slaw, but I love that task of conquering my food. The slivers of apple, beet, and carrot work so well with each other, and the kale isn't too tough to chew either. The apple and carrot lend a nice sweetness that balances out the sour/tang/citrus from the dressing (which actually wasn't overly orange-y and tasted pretty good with this particular mix) and the bitter-leaning raw kale. 

This salad satisfies my sour/sweet/crunch palate. While I wouldn't pick this up every week, if I found myself in a pinch I'd definitely repurchase. $4.49 for a box, which is typical and fairly priced. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's ABC+K Slaw. Crunchy with a nice sweet/sour combo. Pretty good for veggie vitamins in a box. 8 out of 10. 





Comments

  1. All salads and slaws with raw kale are SO much better if you toss with the dressing and then let it sit for at least an hour- longer is even better. The kale relaxes and is much more enjoyable. I also liked this a lot but wasn't a fan of the dressing so i used my own vinegrette and ate the whole thing as a meal with some edamame and sunflower seeds added too.
    Tasty enough i will rebuy
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment