Trader Joe's Organic Cranberry Spiced Apple Kombucha

It appears that my wish for more kombucha flavors has come true.  While everyone was fawning over everything pumpkin (which is like soooooo last month by the way :P) on opening day [of the TJ's grand opening I recently attended. never again people. never again] , I grabbed this kombucha partially because it's something I reach for when I'm crazy tired and because it's pink-tinged. Yaaaaass.


Apparently, the first iteration of TJ's kombucha is already faulty by virtue of being in an aluminum can vs a glass container (something about promoting SCOBY fermentation without negative effects...I got a little bored after that TBH).  I recently looked into the prospect of making kombucha at home, like a DIY brew, to do it properly like the hipsters do. And then I said forget it, ain't nobody got time for that, I like kombucha but not that much, and I'm not sure A would like kitchen smelling fermented all the time. Anyway, TJ's has very reasonably priced kombucha. This one runs $2.69 per bottle, and the more popular mainstream GT Kombucha is $2.99 (a bit cheaper than a few other retailers). 



It's a fermented tea drink with active cultures. Aka good things for your gut and at least for me without the uncomfortable side effects of lactose. :P 


Does it get more hipster than kombucha in a mason jar? 


I find it difficult to describe the taste of kombucha to someone who has never had it before. This isn't one of those things that is love at first sip.  You definitely have to get used to the fermented tea base before you can appreciate any flavor that has been added. Once I reoriented myself to the fermentedness that is kombucha, I actually really liked this. Even though this has less sugar (11g in 16 oz vs. 19g) than the gently gingered version, this tastes sweeter. I can't really make out a distinctive cranberry taste but there is definitely a tartness that cuts through the sweetness with a hint of spice. Again, it isn't a distinctive cinnamon taste but it is "spicy" like how a good ginger ale. Perhaps all they've done is used apple, cranberry, and ginger juice to flavor this - but I don't care. It's pretty good. I also like how there's a nice amount of carbonation but not too much. 

I'm definitely willing to repurchase. It's decent value for a nice tasting product. Unfortunately, my TJ's seems to always run out of this. I saw it one other time, circled around the store to get something else, came back, and it was gone. If you can handle fermented drink, definitely give it a try. And if you don't like fermentedness but don't want all the sugar of a soda, stick to the bubbly waters

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Organic Cranberry Spiced Apple Kombucha. Straddling fall and holiday flavors maybe. Sweet, bubbly, and a little tart. 7 out of 10. 

Comments

  1. I liked this a lot! I actually started making my own kombucha because i turned into an addict and my potentially temperamental tummy loves this stuff and is seriously happy all the time now! Making it isn't a big ordeal (and there is not a detectable smell when it's covered) but it does take some finesse the first few batches are a learning curve- but i just read how to articles online and now spend about an hour once every two weeks bottling and brewing a new batch, it has saved me a crazy ton of money since even at TJs prices a daily kombucha was adding up.
    I liked the cranberry in this one and will definitely buy a few more while it's in stores
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment