Trader Joe's Kohlrabi Salad Blend

At this point in 2017, I think every neglected green vegetable is itching to be the next kale. Apparently kohlrabi was supposed to be the next kale, but I'm not sure that people care that much anymore. Zoodles, carrot spirals (because "coodles" sounds weird), and cauliflower pizza have captured TJ's nation. Me? I'm thinking...something not chips, fibrous, and keeps the plumbing going if ya know what I mean. 


I haven't had much kohlrabi, so honestly it was part curiosity and part the attractive packaging. But at a second glance, this looks like it's mostly kale.


Relative of the cabbage family. Not a huge fan of cabbage and its relatives in isolation but mixed in with some kale and other veg I think I can handle it. 


I'm not sure how this made the Trader Joe's list of top 50 items to be honest. I mean it's pretty good, but 50 best of all time? If I send you to Trader Joe's, I could probably name 50 items that you should get or try before this one. But whatever. It's not a bad salad mix. Here, I think it's entirely up to your preference. This blend errs on the more "roughage" end of the salad spectrum (I put spinach and romaine on the other end. Milder in flavor, easier to digest, probably more palatable for people not used to eating raw greens. Spring mix is somewhere in the middle). If I've interpreted the packaging correctly, this mix consists of kohlrabi leaves and the bulbs (the white slivers). The leaves I really didn't pay much attention to, so it was hard to distinguish it from the kale. The bulbs taste kind of like a mildly spicy version of a broccoli stem. Overall, the mix has a lightly spicier, more bitter profile compared to the Cruciferous Crunch, which is still one of our favorite mixes. I personally am not a huge fan of raw broccoli stems (which is basically the Organic Broccoli Slaw), but if you like them you'll probably like the kohlrabi here. 

This blend is best sautéed or consumed as a slaw since it is rather hefty. Market price is $1.99, although my TJ's store had it for $2.49. Not terrible and still cheaper than your average supermarket. Personally, I will stick to my tried and true Cruciferous Crunch, but this is affordable enough to give it a try. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Kohlrabi Salad Blend. Raw spicy-ish blend of kale and the new-kale-on-the-street, kohlrabi. 6 out of 10. 

SaveSave
SaveSave

Comments