Trader Joe's Cold Pressed Matcha Green Tea Lemonade

Gratuitous. Completely gratuitous. But there's matcha, so go ahead TJ's. Celebrate your 50th anniversary and take my money. Happy Monday y'all. 


I haven't tried too many of the TJ's cold pressed juices. My inner [frugal] grandma refuses to plop down $5 for a bottle of juice. Coffee and bubble tea on the other hand...I think we could negotiate. Could you imagine if TJ's came out with bubble tea? I think it would be an emotional roller coaster - I'd be initially repulsed, then excited to buy it, and then likely letdown immediately. I'm a realist y'all. Store-bought boba just isn't the same. 



But this here is a manuka matcha lemonade, which to me seems like it's more of a pure lemonade, rather than a iced tea lemonade or lemonade iced tea. The color doesn't look particularly appealing. Best case? It resembles a browner mung bean soup. Worst case? Polluted beach/bay/river water. 


And there's a ridiculous amount of sugar! But it's natural sugar from manuka honey! It's good for me! Ehhhhhhh. Sure. 

For the record, I did shake the bottle several times before opening as per the instructions. And still, the matcha is BARELY detectable. It could also be the fact that there's enough honey to drown out any semblance of an earthy flavor, but if you handed this to me in a blind taste test, I wouldn't be able to identify the magic ingredient as matcha. For me personally, I could go for less honey but it's not overly sweet to the taste. It tastes fine as a lemonade but the matcha really doesn't add much here, except for the color and maybe placebo health benefits. It's aiite. A bit overpriced at $3.99 for 1 bottle. You could probably mix matcha tea with a lemonade of your choice and get something comparable, perhaps even something with a better matcha flavor. If you try this, do share!

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Cold Pressed Matcha Green Tea Lemonade. Invisible matcha mixed into a honey sweetened lemonade. 5 out of 10. 

Comments