Trader Joe's Sweet Plantain Chips

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." Some people like The Power of Positive Thinking (which I have never read and likely never will). Sure, I'd like to be an optimist on most days but at the core, I'm a realist. C'mon. The closest star is the sun, which makes the moon closer, so if I shoot for the moon and fail I will either land in the dark abyss of outer space or get burned through the earth's atmosphere.  And why should I shoot for the moon in the first place? There's nothing there and it's not even inhabitable. Yeah...my motivational posters would read something like, "the grass is greener on the other side. Until you get over the fence and land in a pile of geese poop." 


And this is why it is good to expand your horizons and try new things. Thank you friends. And thank you fruitiflute for introducing me to these sweet plantain chips. Not because I love them as much as you do, but I concede they are pretty darn good. 



 At this point of reading the package, I tried hard to keep an open mind and temper my expectations. Don't you hate it when you expect something salty and then it turns out to be really sweet? Or vice versa? It doesn't really ruin the experience, but it's certainly disorienting. This leans sweet with no added sugar. This really didn't seem like something that would appeal to my taste preferences, so I probably would not have tried tried them had a friend not brought them over. THANKS FRIEND. :)


Only two ingredients, which may or may not be healthy but the internet hasn't quite figured out that one yet. *shrug*


If I were a person who loved sweeter tasting things, I would be raving like crazy about this product. TJ's has really made a quality, healthy, good tasting junk food. The plantains have a natural sweetness but it's not sugary sweet or overwhelming. Texturally, this chip has one of the best textures out of all the chips that I've tried from TJ's. Yes, these chips look kind of like dried cow tongues (or something exotic like that :P), but they fit so perfectly in the mouth. You wouldn't expect something so thin to be so crispy AND crunchy and yet these are! 

That said, I still prefer the savory version over this sweet one, mainly because of my affinity for salty crunchy snacks. Also, these kind of confuse my brain. It's a chip, which I automatically assume should be salty, but it's sweet? Although I find the sweetness here not just tolerable but moderately enjoyable, it still reminds me of bananas, a food that I tolerate at times but mostly dislike. Also, the savory one is starchier and a little greasier, which feels more satisfying to me as a true healthy-not-healthy junk food. So if you like sweet snacks, consider adding an extra point to my rating. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Sweet Plantain Chips. Sweet plantains in thin, crispy, crunchy chip form. 7 out of 10.  



SaveSave

Comments