Skip to main content

Trader Joe's Organic Coconut Aminos Seasoning Sauce

Here's another one of those trendy niche market health foods that has been becoming more and more popular. You can allegedly use this instead of soy sauce in any recipe that calls for soy sauce. Skeptical? Curious? Yes? Then I suppose it is worth a try. 


Not a huge bottle at only 8.5oz. 


It's made from coconut sap and sea salt. Gluten-free. Organic. All those buzzwords people adore to pay the extra bucks for. And it has less sodium compared to regular soy sauce, although I am expecting this to be a touch sweeter. 

I've tried it both in cooking and with marinades/salad dressings. Can this substitute or replace soy sauce? Ehhh. Yes and no. If you're making something where soy sauce is an all-star ingredient (ie. any legit Chinese food), I don't think so. Although coconut aminos does have a savory-ish, umami flavor, it is much too sweet, and the essence is pretty different from actual soy sauce. It's like calling Halo Top ice cream (sorry it's not. Yeah it tastes good, even with the erythritol sugar alcohol, but it is not ice cream. It doesn't have the same mouth feel or creaminess) or California roll sushi. I mean...yeah it is but if you really think about it, it's not. 

That said, I have used it to flavor sautéed veggies and in other everyday dishes where I would normally use soy sauce. It imparts a nice flavor, and the sweetness is barely noticeable. My favorite use has been as salad dressing. I drizzle this with extra virgin olive oil over some greens and add salt and pepper. It complements rather than masks the unadulterated taste of the vegetables. If I make a homemade dressing with some kind of vinegar, I end up adding sugar anyway to counteract the acidity and sourness, so using coconut aminos eliminates that step. 

Do I love it enough to repurchase at $2.99 per bottle? It's a reasonably competitive price, although you could get it in bulk for cheaper. Ehhh. I probably would repurchase, but it doesn't replace soy sauce for me in such a comprehensive way where I would need this stocked in my pantry constantly. But if you're avoiding gluten or trying to decrease your sodium intake - and the legitimacy of your soy sauce is not constantly questioned in your house (Cantonese husbands y'know) - it's not a bad buy. I'll give it a complacent 6. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Organic Coconut Aminos Seasoning Sauce. Alternative soy sauce. Healthier maybe. Sweeter definitely. 6 out of 10. 
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trader Joe's Matcha Green Tea

Dear reader, you may notice in the coming days that there are changes coming to this blog. Not nearly as dramatic, controversial, or dlfjepotigfjad;lkgjadsf (for my readers not as fluent in internet speak, that was a keyboard pound of frustration) as say, the government, but changes nonetheless. Mostly because there is coming a day where I will not live within a stone's throw of a Trader Joe's store. A sad sad day. But probably a good day for my wallet. :P 

Trader Joe's Crispy Crunchy Mochi Rice Nuggets

THE PACKAGING THO. HOW CAN I RESIST THAT. 

I immediately thought of School of Rock of course. What nuggets have to do with a band, I don't know. Is this another attempt at cultural appropriation? Perhaps not! Leave it to the Japanese to connect random things together usually in an ingenious way. Also, the singer says "Crispy" while the drummer says "Crunchy." THAT IS TOO CUTE. GAHHH I'm sold. 

Trader Joe's Umami and Ginger Paste

I'm a big fan of the condiment section at TJ's, not because everything is ridiculously good but you can really find some hidden gems and get a good bang for your buck. ;D 
I cannot vouch for all of the spices and condiments - like salt, soy sauce, sriracha (no I haven't tried TJ's brand sriracha) I would buy elsewhere. However, because most of the spices have the same $1.99 flat price, you can get decent deals on things like curry powder, turmeric, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon sticks, and ground ginger.