Trader Joe's Old World Rye Bread with Caraway Seeds

St. Patrick's Day is coming up. I know almost nothing about it except that you should wear green unless you want to get pinched by a bunch of elementary schoolers. And that it happens to be the same day as Match Day. Either way, lots of celebration or potential crying coming around the corner. Hopefully tears of joy. 


I picked up this bread a few weeks ago, not knowing that it's sort of St. Patrick's tradition to eat corned beef on rye bread. I've grown to enjoy rye bread in the past few years - mainly because of that earthy, fermented-ish taste. 



Note that while it is 16 oz, it's not a huge loaf of bread, which means that it's perhaps a bit denser than a typical sandwich loaf. This one is either $2.29 or $2.49. I expected this to be a ho hum rye bread, like what I would expect from a diner. Oh no my friend. The caraway seeds raise the bar and amp up the flavor in every bite. Bread usually serves as a vehicle to whatever topping you choose, but this is one of those breads that I enjoy just as much as the topping. TJ's is selling a non-TJ's brand corned beef that I recently sampled (tasty but on the salty side). If you can get your hands on it, it would go perfectly on this bread with a bit of mustard. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Old World Rye Bread with Caraway Seeds. Just make sure to toast it and that caraway flavor will carry you away. harharhar.  7 out of 10. 
SaveSave

Comments