Trader Joe's Ugly Sweater Cookie Kit

This cookie kit needs no introduction. It was simply love at first sight. 


While I'd like to give TJ's credit for being the first to come up with this idea, the internet tells me that Amazon already has this. Go figure. But that did not stop me from picking it up without hesitation. I mean look at it! It's literally foolproof. I mean no matter how hard you try, you can't fail! If it turns out ugly, you've done it right! 



Ugly sweaters have been making a comeback in the recent years. In fact, retailers SELL ugly sweaters so that you can get one for your ugly sweater-themed holiday parties. This kit could not be more on point. I cracked up at the garment descriptions. Unsightly cardigan. Hideous vest. Ugly Hawaiian shirt. Atrocious Turtleneck. Homely crewneck. Sounds similar to my wardrobe growing up. 
As a kid who wore hand-me-downs from kids that grew up in the '80s and '90s, it wasn't just a once-a-year holiday thing. Ugly sweaters were my life year round. :P


I believe this cookie kit is made in Canada by the same manufacturer that made the white house cookie kit. Which means no icing assembly required! The royal icing comes in three colors in individually pre-packaged squeeze tubes! So user-friendly and perfect for lazy people! 


It comes with 10 sugar cookies (five vanilla and five chocolate) along with a variety of super cute sprinkles. My chocolate unsightly cardigan came with a broken shoulder, so we ate that one without decorating it. Pretty tasty.


My excitement for this product is not so much for the cookies but the fun and experience of decorating and expressing your creativity. While I would not hesitate to decorate all 10 cookies myself, part of the fun is sharing the experience with friends and family. It was so much more relaxing and gratifying compared to the gingerbread turkey. It was possible to sit down, socialize, and decorate with really no pressure of having to make it look a certain way. Especially this time of year, it is exceptionally easy to get caught up with busyness and making everything "just right" and neglect important stuff. Like the reason for the season. Joy and content with everything we have been blessed with. Somehow decorating cookies helps me to slow down, enjoy good conversations and company, and breathe a little. I need this kind of restful activity to enjoy with people and not care how ugly it looks. That's part of the fun too. :)

And yes, the cookies are edible. The sugar cookies are not too sweet by themselves but of course become pretty sweet with all the icing and sprinkles, which I think many people will enjoy. I will definitely repurchase. It's not too expensive at $5.99, comes ready-to-use, and is great for kids too. And grandmas. And grandmas-at-heart. I can see this being a great gift for a kid, anyone who likes to bake, Secret Santa, White Elephant, etc. Take my money, TJ's! 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Ugly Sweater Cookie Kit. All of the fun with none of the labor. 9 out of 10. 
SaveSave

Comments