Skip to main content

Trader Joe's Buenalba with Paprika Cheese


I recently went on an adventure to Lancaster, PA with my friend KK. Because why not. It really appeals to my inner grandma, and for the record - old people have a lot of fun too. After all, what is age but a number? 

Anyhoo, one of the perks of Amish country - CHEESE. SO MUCH CHEESE. We sampled cheese to our heart's content. My favorite? The merlot-infused cheddar. If TJ's is listening, please make that happen. If any of y'all find a merlot-infused cheddar at a TJ's, LET ME KNOW. 


I sampled this Spanish Buenalba in-store the other day, freshly back from my Amish country adventure. Perhaps it was my unsatisfied longing for that merlot-infused cheddar that made me pick this up. This is neither cheddar nor merlot-infused. It was, however, good enough to stop me in my tracks. This variety hails from La Mancha (yes, that La Mancha a la Don Quixote). You had me at goat cheese, but for those opposed to goat cheese, fear not. It's not goat cheese either. 



The best way to describe this cheese - it's a fusion of most things I like about cheese. It has a bit of tang, a bit of nuttiness, but has a decently strong flavor. It's somewhat crumbly but also creamy. Not particularly spicy but has a certain warmth from the paprika, which also gives it the nice orange color.    What is a buenalba? I have no idea. But it's good, different, yet somewhat familiar. I'd definitely pick this up for a charcuterie board. Or straight-up cheese board. Definitely pick this up, because this baby is limited edition.   

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Buenalba with Paprika Cheese. Queso muy bueno. 8 out of 10. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trader Joe's Matcha Green Tea

Dear reader, you may notice in the coming days that there are changes coming to this blog. Not nearly as dramatic, controversial, or dlfjepotigfjad;lkgjadsf (for my readers not as fluent in internet speak, that was a keyboard pound of frustration) as say, the government, but changes nonetheless. Mostly because there is coming a day where I will not live within a stone's throw of a Trader Joe's store. A sad sad day. But probably a good day for my wallet. :P 

Trader Joe's Crispy Crunchy Mochi Rice Nuggets

THE PACKAGING THO. HOW CAN I RESIST THAT. 

I immediately thought of School of Rock of course. What nuggets have to do with a band, I don't know. Is this another attempt at cultural appropriation? Perhaps not! Leave it to the Japanese to connect random things together usually in an ingenious way. Also, the singer says "Crispy" while the drummer says "Crunchy." THAT IS TOO CUTE. GAHHH I'm sold. 

Trader Joe's Umami and Ginger Paste

I'm a big fan of the condiment section at TJ's, not because everything is ridiculously good but you can really find some hidden gems and get a good bang for your buck. ;D 
I cannot vouch for all of the spices and condiments - like salt, soy sauce, sriracha (no I haven't tried TJ's brand sriracha) I would buy elsewhere. However, because most of the spices have the same $1.99 flat price, you can get decent deals on things like curry powder, turmeric, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon sticks, and ground ginger.