Trader Joe's Parsnip Chips

I'm taking a break from Mango Mania to catch up with my recent non-mango TJ tries. Also, let's acknowledge that basically everything else is bound to be a letdown after that near perfection. More or less. Moving on now. 




According to my high school chemistry teacher, the parsnip is a highly underrated, under-appreciated vegetable. Like a starchier, less sweet carrot. While the parsnip is delicious and pretty nutritious, they have never been in the spotlight, like kale. These parsnip chips are nothing new. In fact, I've seen them in TJ's Vegetable Root chips and other non-TJ veggie chip mixes. I recall them being my least favorite. 


These were not meant to be healthy. Sliced and fried into crunchy chips. Supposed to give the potato chip a run for his money. 


Mildly greasy. Crunchy? Sort of. Beyond the first crunch, texturally this is halfway between a wood chip (ie. playground mulch) and a piece of leather. I'm not a fan. Overall, these chips weren't that compelling at all for my usual salty crunchy taste buds. Perhaps it was the natural sweetness from the parsnip. I stopped eating them for a while, and a few days later, the humidity in my apartment had made them even more leathery. Ugh. 

$2.99 per bag. What was I thinking. I wasn't. No repurchase here. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Parsnip Chips. I'd rather eat the vegetable. Or the normal salty crunchies. Not these. 4 out of 10. 

Comments

  1. You got a bad bag. About half the bags are stale, rancid, and bitter. When they are not stale, they are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment