Skip to main content

Trader Joe's Chile Lime Seasoning Blend

This must be a new product. It's not in the Fearless Flyer. I've never seen it before on the shelves. Where have you been all my salty-sour-loving-adult-life?

This red jar stood out among the other black label spices. And it called my name. 

So this is basically chili powder plus lime. No big deal. EXCEPT THAT THIS IS A MAJOR DEAL. Because this means I can use this pretty much any way I would normally use chili powder AND the food will taste better 95% of the time! I'm leaving that 5% for anything that gets cooked for a long time, like actual chili. Haven't tried it yet, but I can't see lime doing well under low and slow cooking.  Note that sea salt is the first ingredient. I love salt y'all. This might not bode well for me. It means that I'm consuming more salt than spice. Oh well. I'm young and what is hypertension? Bahahaha.

Don't worry. It's not that spicy at all. In fact, true spice lovers might have to add a pinch of cayenne or another hot pepper for additional kick. It tastes more smoky than spicy, like chili powder. The lime shines through and adds a zesty, savory brightness. Reminds me of those lime tortilla chips, except less artificial tasting. I'm loving this on popcorn, and it's a problem because it turns me into a popcorn-eating monster. 

I haven't been this thrilled about a spice since..ever. A and I have been very into this furikake, but even that does not match the excitement I have for this seasoning. Everything about this matches my taste palate. They've suggested to use this on mango, jicama, pineapple, or grilled meats. I get that. Maybe one day I'll get to that. In the meantime, I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY THIS ON JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING! Avocado toast! Salad! Eggs! Homemade pickles! Chipotle-esque burrito bowls minus the e coli! 

There's a good chance this might be a seasonal item. I'm actually thinking about hoarding this. Shamelessly so. Although I might get over this spice in another week or so. Or I might not. We shall see after I try this on everything.

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Chile Lime Seasoning Blend. Chili powder + lime. But OH MY IS IT GOOD. Salty and a wee bit sour. IMA PUT THIS ON ERRTHANG. Almost. Maybe not ice cream. 9 out of 10.


  1. That's Tajin. I've been putting it on my food for years :-)

    1. I've been using Tajin for years as well, but this tastes a bit different...I actually liked it much better than Tajin! It's not as mouth-puckering, and chemical-tasting.

  2. I just put it in my mango ice cream. So good!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trader Joe's Green Goddess Salad Dressing

I love watching the Olympics. But more than that, I LOVE watching Olympic figure skating, probably because it's one of those things I wish I could do but probably would never be able to do in a million years. This is the first year where I've been rather invested in all of the events, not just the ladies' competition (which is probably the least interesting competition IMO this year. Barring something catastrophic, it's going to be Russia #1 and #2 and everyone else fighting for a piece of the bronze). What I find fascinating is how these athletes deliver (or not!) given all the media hype leading up to the Games. Case in point - Nathan Chen. What a bittersweet journey of so so so much King Quad hype, two just awful performances, and a 6 quad redemption (yeah I know technically only landed five of them nicely..but you have to give him credit for going for it). Of course, you can't blame his performance ENTIRELY on media hype, but it definitely played a big part.

Trader Joe's Kimchi

This is one of those foods that elicits one of two distinct responses from most people. "YAAAAAAAS. LIFE." Or if you can't stand the fermentedness, the sourness, or the spice - it's a *stink face.* I'm trying not support the deterioration of English language to mere emojis, but c'mon. Stink face is pretty darn appropriate for some. And while yes I like to categorize people and things, I acknowledge that you could be indifferent. Or uninitiated. Either way, you can't deny its presence. This is the lifestuff stuff of an entire people. 

Trader Joe's Sliced French Brioche

"THIS IS LIKE CRACK." No it's not (but it certainly could be), but A says that's how I tend to overhype stuff. The funny thing is that I know I overhype a lot of things, so I actually try not to overhype it. Because I don't want to proclaim, "THIS IS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER TASTED" about everything I try. But sometimes I can't help it, and the overhype spills out. Anyway, this is my meager attempt at NOT overhyping this bread (because it is pretty good actually and you should give it a try but I'm trying to restrain myself).