Trader Giotto's Trofie Colore

I have been known to buy food stuffs when it is pretty. This was no exception. 




Imported from Italy. I haven't seen anything like it though in my neighborhood Italian deli. Trofie is the twisted, spiral-shaped pasta that originates from the Northern coastal region of Liguria (thanks internet). To me, that means it's a nice macaroni-esque pasta that will cling to a sauce. Or rather, the sauce will cling to the pasta. Even better.


"May contain traces of shellfish?" What? How? 


My main grievances? 1) The color faded. A lot. Obviously the pasta wasn't going to keep his neon-ish sheen, but this is like when you put your new jeans in the wash and the color comes out faded. Disappointing. 2) I cooked this per package directions and did not end up with an al dente product! I don't know if it was user error or product quality. It was overcooked on the outside and undercooked on the inside. And I couldn't cook it any further because the outer spiral edges were already too soft. I don't know about you, I'd rather eat slightly undercooked than overcooked pasta, because overly soft noodles are kinda gross. And because the pasta was overcooked, the sauce really didn't cling to it as well as it could have.

$1.99 for a pound. I still have some left over to use for another attempt, but I'm not inclined to reach for it when I've been stocking up on my favorite pasta. I'll have to consult the deli owners down the street to find out what went wrong. =/ 

TL;DR: Trader Giotto's Trofie Colore. Take it or leave it. I've left mine in the pantry, where it might stay until it becomes radioactive. 5 out of 10.

Comments