Trader Joe's Blueberry Breakfast Biscuits

Finally! A new product that speaks to me! I should say that there's been a bunch of new products lately, but nothing really grabbed my attention. Am I really going to pay $5 for a box of teeny tiny healthy-ish, cardboard-tasting-to-some granola bars that I might possibly tear to shreds? Noooooo. I mean unless someone is dying for a review on those Kind Bar dupes. I say meh. Five dollars is a lot of money in some places in the world. And if you're a kid who gets $2 allowance a week. That was me yearssss ago.

The name got me. Blueberry breakfast biscuits. The alliteration! Blueberries! Breakfast! Biscuits! And never mind the fact that this is probably a Belvita dupe. It reminds me of my favorite baking show of late, the Great British Bake-off.



 22 grams of whole grain! How exciting! I am definitely justified eating these for breakfast!




Where do they get this "22 grams of whole grain" from? I see 5g of fiber. And I spy hydrogenated palm oil. Health freaks gonna freak. Just sayin.


This was a sheer marketing move y'all. These are most definitely cookies, maybe "diet friendly cookies," if I'm being generous. No matter though. I'm not ashamed that I occasionally eat pizza, ice cream, cake --really anything that isn't meant for breakfast-- for breakfast. And you can survive on these breakfast biscuits kind of like you can survive on a granola bar. For me, that means maybe 3 hours at best.


My first impression? Now these are what digestive biscuits SHOULD be. I always thought digestive biscuits were these really "healthy" tasting cookies, but apparently not


When it comes to cookies, I typically prefer the American style with crisp edges and a soft middle. The British? Judging from their standards, my guess is not. Crispness is key, so in that sense these biscuits meet the mark. When you first open the package, there's a strong blueberry aroma, which was surprising because you normally don't get that freshness in packaged cookies. You can also see substantial chunks of dried blueberry in the actual biscuit. The tart flavor doesn't really come through, but the cookies still taste pleasantly sweet. These do taste sort of "healthy" in that there's a good nuttiness and "grain"-ness (not graininess) with every bite, but they have enough oil and texture where it doesn't taste like cardboard. 

Admittedly, I reached for these during my morning dash out the door (when I could have just gotten up 10 minutes earlier to eat a better breakfast). I was hungry three hours later. $2.49 for a box of 5 packages isn't bad. These definitely taste better than the mass market dupes. I'll probably repurchase especially for those long work weeks. Paired with a cup of tea, these babies sound like an inviting therapeutic 15-minute break to me. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Blueberry Breakfast Biscuits. Delicious, crisp, REAL blueberry breakfast cookies. 8.5 out of 10. 

Comments

  1. I love the Trader Joe's blueberry breakfast biscuits! Unfortunately I was told at my local Trader Joe's that they have been discontinued. I am so disappointed! I want to point out that these are not cookies - perhaps sales were low because these were placed in the cookie section. They have 4 or 5 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber per serving. And, they are no more sweet than other breakfast bars. Hoping there will be some clamor and Trader Joe's will bring them back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment