Trader Joe's Miso Ginger Broth


There is something about working nightshift that throws my usual logic out the window. Or rather there is something about working nightshift that puts my "feeling-based" decisions on overdrive.  I think it is bad for my health. How y'all night owls do it on the regular beats me. 

 



I had the lovely privilege of working an extended overnight shift a few weeks ago, which left me feeling a wee bit sickly and craving hot soup in the morning. My better judgment should have pointed me toward something easy, quick, and safe. Corn soup (chicken broth, cream of corn or canned corn kernels, and a beaten egg whisked in toward the end). Boxed roasted tomato and red pepper soup. I could have made my own [lazy version] of miso soup, which would have taken all but 10 minutes tops. In other words, just about any soup EXCEPT this one. It's not even a soup! It's a "miso ginger broth!" What was I thinking. 


That sodium though. Tsk tsk. 


They are recommending that you use this broth for soups or ramens. Nooooooo nooooooo noooooo. Do you know how hard it is to make legitimate ramen broth?? This broth missed the authenticity bus like my oversleeping teenage self missed the school bus (like all the time). It's a worse version of the "asian broth" used in those Panera broth bowls. That's right. Delicate flavor? Nooooooooo not really. Hints of ginger? Well if you can consider the ginger like the really loud backup singer to the frontman that is sheer fermented-I-don't-know-what-it-is-but-it-sure-ain't-miso. A says it reeks of mushrooms. So please, for the love of ramen, do not desecrate ramen with this broth. 


But do whatever you want to your fish. Your regular plain jane noodles. Your rice. I don't care. That first time I had it, I dumped leftover noodles into the broth. It did the trick for me though. I slept for 3 or 4 hours, felt fine again, and went to work. This soup is taking too much credit for that speedy recovery. In the meantime, I've been trying to finish this broth, so I made my own leftover broth bowl loosely inspired by the Panera broth bowls. I also watered down the broth a little. That seemed to help. 


Hardboiled eggs, leftover broccoli, spinach, leftover rice, sesame seeds, and furikake seasoning (because that stuff makes just about anything taste good). Good enough for post-nightshift breakfast and cleaning out the refrigerator. Sleep-inducing? I'll report back on that. 

**Edit: definitely not sleep inducing. Palatable only when starving and sleep-deprived. A says this was terrible, difficult to finish, and yes, worse than Panera asian broth. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Miso Ginger Broth. Don't bother. Unless you like [really bad] Panera broth bowls. 3 out of 10. 



Comments