Trader Joe's Savory Broth Chicken Flavor


This is one of those unexpected things that I found at TJ's that has made life much easier in the kitchen. My mom has this can of "chicken powder" from the asian grocery store, which she uses to flavor soups.  Unfortunately, it's pretty much chicken flavor + MSG. 




I did a quick calculation in my head. You can get 32 oz. carton of chicken broth for $1.99 ($0.50 per cup of broth). Whereas this is shelf-stable and comes out to 96 oz. of broth for $3.99 ($0.33 per cup of broth). Hello new friend. 


Yes there's some food additive for thickening. But it's not MSG, which is fine with me. 


I usually don't follow the package directions (1 packet to 1 cup hot water ratio) unless I'm making a recipe that specifically asks for a cup of broth or something. Most of the time, I add one or two packets of this concentrate whenever my soup is missing a little "something something." Then I add salt to taste. 


Not much bigger than a ketchup package. Would be great for travel. Camping perhaps? A made soup in the Bahamas, except the chicken broth there was so expensive we skipped it. Bad idea. So next time we travel somewhere where we're going to cook, I'm bringing this with some ramen noodles.

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Savory Broth Chicken Flavor. Saving time and money while flavoring my soup. Just be sure to add salt. :) 7 out of 10.

Comments