Trader Joe's Turkey Stock and Trader Joe's Turkey Broth

This post is more of an observation and a mild rant rather than a review. With Friendsgivings in full swing and Thanksgiving around the corner, I thought I'd inform the general public of two very similar looking products lurking around TJ's. Turkey stock and turkey broth. Isn't this kind of repetitive? 




According to the internet, there's a difference in the seasoning. Basically stock is more seasoned while broth is less seasoned to retain a more neutral flavor.


 I used them interchangeably and found little difference. Then again, I used them in different soup recipes, so there goes the control variable (not helpful, I know). I'd like to point out that the first ingredient in the broth is WATER followed by a few other seasonings (what is natural flavor?), but if you look at the stock ingredients it's full of seasonings galore. While I'd like to think that it boils down to personal preference, I personally would lean toward the stock. It is $0.30 more at $2.29, and it's not even organic but I like the richer flavor. It also has less sodium, which is weird because you'd think the more seasoned one would have more salt. 

Either way, they're worth trying. Substituting turkey stock/broth where I would normally use chicken broth added a subtle flavor difference that was quite pleasing in my fall/winter soups. I think I used the broth for a potato leek soup and the stock for...something else. I can't remember. I'm becoming a grandma. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Turkey Stock. Seasoned to the max. 6.5 out of 10. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Turkey Broth. More or less the same thing but with more water and salt. 6 out of 10. 




Comments